1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOA 62 Rear Driveshaft Vibration

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by gkhal1, May 30, 2003.

1. gkhal1

gkhal1

???
    Another question for ya'll...I have read many archives at LCML to find an answer but want to post anyway.

I am getting a vibration (almost groaning/grinding) from the rear driveline that occurs in between accel and decel, and during coasting...essentially when there is no torsional stress on the driveshaft. When under load, there is no vibration at any speed. The 3rd was overhauled with ARB/4.88 and all new bearings/etc. before the SO.

I have read that it could be 'worn splines', 'worn u-joints', 'worn pinion bearing', etc. Anyone experience this specific behavior? And what was your solution?

Thanks in advance. :beer:

2. axlechassis

axlechassis

I had similar symptoms in my 40 with a borrowed driveshaft. Turns out the u-joint were improperly installed and the slip yoke wore out.

3. dogsboss

dogsboss

did my own spring over and had the same thing.It was the driveshaft not being slipped back onto the splines in the same position it was taken off that did it.Takes a while to sort out,blobs of paint are worth millions here!