1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what are the FAA rules about landing a helicopter in a residential area?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 98LXand99LC, Aug 25, 2008.

1. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

My next door neighbor the televangelist had a helicopter pick him up yesterday and he just now returned. I snapped the picture below from my office window. Not a great picture, but I wasn't about to go outside and start snapping pictures.

Anyway, is this legal?

2. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

BTW, it's a private gated community. If that makes a difference.

3. ms018kmf

ms018kmf

Good question, there's a bunch of fuss around here with some private landowner trying to get the county to approve a helipad. That kind of looks like a driveway (damn nice one though).

4. NaterGator

NaterGator On Gilligan's Island SILVER Star

Is he the pastor of that obnoxious baptist megachurch w/ like 6,000 people per disney-like service?

5. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

He landed in the middle of our cul-de-sac.

6. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

there is a guy down here that lands his chopper on the golf course when he visits his rich buddies. It pisses off the golfers.. lol

7. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Not sure if he has his own congregation or what. I'm only friendly with him, "how's it going" etc.

BTW, GATOR FOOTBALL this weekend!!!!!!!!! GO GATORS!!!!

8. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

9. 78-FJ40

78-FJ40

If you're within city limits, probably not. There are height restrictions for aircraft.

10. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

11. ravewoofer

ravewoofer Las Ventas

Well, I don't know if it's legal where you live, but my guess is that the legality of a local landing is decided by either your town or county. Most likely, someone in your Town Hall will know.

How do I know? Well, in the next town to mine a billionaire decided he wanted to install a helipad on his 400 acre property so he could easily commute to work. The town said no, so said billionaire chopped up his property for development and moved out.

ymmv

12. NaterGator

NaterGator On Gilligan's Island SILVER Star

Ah, not him.

And hell YES GO GATORS! :grinpimp: I'm excited to stomp the living hell out of Hawaii and start the season. :bounce:

13. scottm

scottm

It's FAA legal, but local gov'ts can have more restrictive rules. The FAA is required to act on noise complaints, usually forwards it to the appropriate senator's office, they may not do anything unless he's a political enemy or there are a lot of complaints. I got a lot of noise complaints in the military, lots of McMansions going up all around every airport it seems.

Jet noise = the sound of freedom

14. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Well, we're not within the city limits. I just find it odd, that he had to have them pick him up at the house. There's a school nearby with a large open field. It seems like an unnecessary risk to land in a cul-de-sac!?!?!?

15. cruiser100

cruiser100 Comfortably Numb

This probably won't help much for, but around here you have to be specifically permitted to land in other than designated areas (i.e. approved helipads).

16. trainrech

trainrech SILVER Star

From a zoning standpoint, it depends if the zoning regulations allow it. If it isn't stored there, refer to zoning for a helipad. If the helicopter is stored there, look for heliport language.

We had this issue with our local county hospital. They got a permit for a helipad and then turned it into a heliport. Board of Zoning Appeals grandfathered it in, much to the dismay of the neighbors.

Same hospital had to be stopped from installing underground fuel storage tanks. Didn't think they needed a local permit, let alone one from the Department of Health and Environment.

Nice thing about code enforcement (at least here) is that you can immediately be shut down for non-compliance. Not legal notice, nothing, just cease and desist. If the zoning regulations don't outright allow a helipad in a residential area you probably have a case, or at least a starting point. So, quick summary would be to contact the zoning administrator.

Edit: Contact the county zoning administrator. If you live in a county without zoning, then you are probably SOL.

17. ATLcrusher

ATLcrusher

Looks like a newer subdivision, and a pretty big cul-de-sac. I'm guessing all the lines are underground? What's the big risk?

18. tcb

tcb

Shoot a potato cannon at it next time!

19. trainrech

trainrech SILVER Star

Hmm, good question, try "helicopter crash" in a Google Search and see how many hits you come up with.

20. LukeZero

LukeZero

then you'll get to talk to the FAA in person about it.