So Cal recommended LC mechanics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tackled the knuckle rebuild on my 86 FJ60, just take your time it's more messy than anything else. The guys at K & H imports are pretty good, they are in Canoga Park. Where are you in So Cal? I have a couple guys I go drive with. We are always looking for more folks to join us.

Adam

How mechanically inclined would you say you are, and how long did a rebuild take you?

How successful do you think a friend and I would be doing this job with 0 closed axle experience?

I watched a You Tube video, and read forums on this site...true story. I am a novice when it comes to mechanics. It took me about 5 or 6 hours spread out over a weekend. You and buddy could probably knock it out in about 3 hours, depending on your level of experience. Search you tube and this forum. Chances are you will find a detailed video/write-up. Make sure to use OEM parts, I don't trust the stuff from China.

hmmmm, not too bad huh?
Would this be the video you referenced?

I have an FJ 60 so I believe it was a video with an old 60, but it was something similar. Just followed it step by step. The rebuilds are expensive if you have a shop do it, I would recommend doing it yourself, I learned a lot about my truck.

The other 'local' shop for a knuckle rebuild I'd recommend is Yotamasters but they are a hike for you as well out in Corona.

How much would a rebuild cost? Id like to do it myself, but my weekends are gonna be full for a month and a half, so I don't think ill have time to do it.

My buddy Greg has a Smog and Repair shop in La Habra. He's doing the rebuild on my 1994. Great guy even has a 5 star rating on Yelp last I looked. It's called Quick Smog and Repair. It's ok Whittier Blvd

For those farther south, Service Pros in San Marcos is fantastic. The owner drives an 80 himself.

Jim Dickey would be the closest one to you.
Otherwise Top Line Performance 7312 Auto Park Drive Huntington Beach, Ca 92648
(714) 362-8051

I have recently succumbed to land cruiseritis, and made the wonderful decision to purchase a baby faced (150,000 mi) 1991 fj80 named Josephine. I've done a bunch of baselining:new vac hoses, plugs, rotor, cap, coolant, oil, belts (which caused me more problems than I care to mention). But Josephine needs new inner axle seals, and I'm not quite sure I am able to do a full knuckle rebuild, so I was wondering if any so cal land cruiser heads could recommend a trusted LC mechanic to do this work.

I'm also very interested in joining the so cal TLCA and get into off-roading.

Come out to our next club meeting! 5pm on 5/6 at the Fantastic Cafe in Westminster. more info at SoCal TLCA | Southern California Toyota Land Cruiser Enthusiasts :)

K and H Imports in Canoga Park. Just did an awesome job on my 1980 FJ40. I will definitely be going back. Fast, quality work and right down the road from SOR.

I don’t think so. Give Armando a shout tomorrow and let him know what you have.

Looking for someone who can rebuild a 1FZ, have all parts. Blown HG. Any recommendations?

Yotamasters doesn't do any engine swaps or rebuilds. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom