Snowbear Trailers Suck (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to go to a bearing supply warehouse since the Snowbear website is defunct and they won't answer their phones or make callbacks. Here are the part #'s:

Timken
Set17 L68111-L68149 Bearing/Race set
Set4 L44610-L44649 Bearing/Race set
473796 1.75" x 2.565" x 0.312" Seal

Now I don't have to worry about cheap Chinese junk meltdown. Probably have to be tested for Lead now.

Well, it's been a while since I started this thread and so far things have been fine with the trailer, but keep in mind that I got rid of the original axle and installed a far better axle.

However, something came to light the other day. The trailer originally came with 175/80-13 tires. These tires are rated at 1360 lbs. I always understood that the combined load handling of the tires should equal or exceed the GVWR of the trailer. The GVWR of this trailer is 2900 lbs, which is 180 lbs lower than GVWR of the trailer. This tells me that this trailer should not have been approved for highway use with the original tires. So, if you're looking at buying one of these POS trailers used (apparently Snowbear is out of business... no big surprise there), make sure you know what you are buying.

I had to go to a bearing supply warehouse since the Snowbear website is defunct and they won't answer their phones or make callbacks. Here are the part #'s:

Timken
Set17 L68111-L68149 Bearing/Race set
Set4 L44610-L44649 Bearing/Race set
473796 1.75" x 2.565" x 0.312" Seal

Now I don't have to worry about cheap Chinese junk meltdown. Probably have to be tested for Lead now.

You sure those bearings you bought aren't made in China? I just picked up a new set and installed them this weekend and I couldn't find any around here that weren't made in China. They all said they were Timken, but turns out they were referring to the style.

Hi there! I was just going through all the pages on the trailer section of this forum, trying to learn more about off-road trailers and came across this thread. I thought I'd my experience with snowbears.

I bought my 4x8 trailer in 2002. I needed a trailer cos of the firewood that I was going to be hauling from all over the place. This trailer has performed admirably, and considering that i just leave it outside (and I live on the wet coast) all year long, the amount of rust is not too bad.

I've driven it over curbs, down curbs, bent the fender once backing it up and not seeing a tree (damn it was dark!) and its just done its job of hauling firewood. How much firewood? Well, lets put it this way. I live in Canada, I heat my double-story detached house exclusively with wood and I've never paid for wood, hauling it from all over the place. I've literally overloaded this thing dozens of times. How do I know its overloaded? Well, when the wheels almost touch the fenders, that's how!!

The lights are still on their original bulbs, the wiring needs to be pushed back in every now and then, and every year, I tell myself I'm going to repack them bearings, but never find the time to do so. :grinpimp:

Best money I've ever spent, under $1,000. Ever.

I bought my snow bear trailer from Costco back in 2002 and I got home and noticed my right side tail light wasn't working. So I was checking out to see what the problem was and I found out the wiring harness was pinched when they bolted on the tail light. So I fixed it and I contacted snowbear and they sent me out a brand new harness. And a week later it arrived at my door with no problems at all. So I put in the new harness and problem solved.
So now it is may of 2014 and the only problem I had was a flat tire and I have hauled a yard of dirt in mine and it took it no problem at all. I have hauled a lot if heavy loads in it and I haven't had any trouble with it what so ever.
This has been the best 500.00 bucks I have ever spent on a utility trailer and when this wears out if it ever does I would buy another one again. And I would recommend this trailer to anyone.
Thank you Snowbear for a fantastic utility trailer I give this trailer 5 Stars *****

Well I just found out that the snowbear trailers has gone belly up and is no longer available to buy. That is a bummer because my snowbear trailer has been a fantastic trailer and when and if it Evers wears out I would have bought another one for sure. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if someone carries any of the tailgates. I would like to change mine out sometime to a landscaping tailgate instead of the normal tailgate that I have now.
If anyone has one that they would like to part with let me know and I hope that we can work something out on it. Send me an email at
sixxkiller@hotmail.com if you have one that you would like to part with.
Thanks,
John

Fortunately my Snowbear 4x8 utility is still going strong. It was purchased at Home Depot in Paso Robles, CA in 2007 for $699 USD and then pulled all the way across the country to Summerstown, ON Canada. It still has the same wheel bearings 7 years later and the same tires. I installed bearing buddies before the trip and have recently added tire goop to the tires as the sidewalls are weather cracking. I have replaced several tail light bulbs and that is it. The trailer has always been stored outside and is used regularly including hauling my ATV. I highly recommend adding a tongue wheel and the full cargo cover. The cover has helped protect the wooden floor slats which I also covered with a 4x8 sheet of plywood after sealing the wood with varnish. Snowbear was recently bought up by another Canadian Company after filing for bankruptcy a second time which might explain why their Customer Service has been non-existent. Did I get my $699 out of it? You bet, and then some.

Funny...was just looking for some information on Snowbear and this thread popped up. Bought my 4x8 utility Snowbear at Costco in 2003 for $560. I put the sides on and proceeded to abuse the trailer for nine years. From dirtbikes to home remodels to a million dump runs with ZERO maintenance...NEVER has this trailer failed me. I even used it to carry a bunch of oversized telephone poles and railroad ties for an AT&T buddy of mine, way overloaded and no problems, not even the lights. So, three years ago, I parked it on the side of my house with a bunch of junk in it, anticipating yet another dump run...well, it turned into three years with junk, rats nests, etc, etc... Two weeks ago, I pulled it out and cleaned all the crap out of it, hosed it down, and backed the 40 up to it, plugged it in and the lights still work. The plywood runners are still in good shape. Since I will be taking it to Pismo with toys in it next month, I took the bearings out to check...the grease and bearings were in perfect condition and looked like they could go another 20K easy without being touched. Never had a reason to call customer service, so I cannot comment there, but this trailer is bulletproof. Gonna pick up some new tires, just to be safe, repack the bearings and haul 'er down the road.

First post--because this thread always bothers me when I see it pop up on a google search. I have two snowbear trailers and they both have served WAY beyond what is expected of them. Neither of them has any of the spring/suspension issues mentioned earlier in this thread. One is still bone stock, gets abused, has a zillion miles on it, and still has the original bearings in it. The second one was equally abused but I've made it my own with a suspension lift, 13" wheels, and an extra rack; my off road camping rig. I've owned both of them almost 10 years and they were used when I got them. I do what any responsible owner does and grease the bearings every few years, put water seal on the wood deck, and try not to overload it too often :)... I paid $250 each for them used... And I've got way more use out of both of them than most "normal" trailer owners. I've owned many trailers, and sold quite a few, but these two still remain... SHOOT--pics below.

green%20trailer%20loaded_zps0w1qa52e.jpg

IMG_1062_zpse3nde8bv.jpg

IMG_1174_zps37pid1gn.jpg

And then there was #3.... :cheers:

an absolute beater--definitely well used. missing rear gate and fenders, worn out tires, full of dents and dings...yep I love it !!!!

$200 and a good winter project--probably leave this one as is for the most part other than new grease in the bearings and better tires. Maybe I'll straighten a few dents....;)

beater%20200_zpsjytvik08.jpg

SHOOT

I just counted, the OP has 7 posts to his user name, coincidentally they're all in this thread. I'm calling it an axe to grind.

Well seeing as this is one of the top hits when you do a search for snowbear trailers, I'm going to do my part to share my knowledge/opinion in this thread. I don't post a lot on the web, but I think having some good info out there is a good thing. I know it's an old thread, but it gets a lot of looks.

SHOOT

here's an example of 2 things-- 1: check and grease your bearings when you buy a used trailer, and 2: some people shouldn't be allowed to touch tools... here's what I found today left and right. Left was seized on axle, but I was able to pull it off. It is repairable, but will take a little extra time and a new bearing. No idea what the previous owner was using to try and get the bearing off.

bad_zps9cwunqid.jpg

good_zpsugy9deps.jpg

CHECK YOUR BEARINGS-CHECK YOUR BEARINGS-CHECK YOUR BEARINGS !!!

Well, I picked up Snowbear number 4.... sometimes you lose :bang:... how hard is it to grease your bearings every year or so...? Still happy with the purchase, but bearings are shot. Hubs appear to be ok. Maybe I'll shoot a few pics of a complete Snowbear hub assy for reference.

IMG_1547_zps0owvog2z.jpg

IMG_1551_zpsywk36v6w.jpg

IMG_1548_zpsbqqrt3ch.jpg

I admit it-- I'm kind of hooked on Snowbear 4x8 trailers :) Picked up another one for $225 bucks today--looks to be in good condition, we'll see how the bearings look ....
IMG_2030_zpscgrj6ak2.jpg

P1010043.JPG
hey all, just my 2 cents worth here .. rather than rent a U-Haul trailer I picked up a 4 x 8 foot Snowbear trailer 10 years ago to help me move from Manitoba to British Columbia Canada - a distance of over 2400 kilometers (1500 miles) and for weather purposes i bought and installed several sheets of 5/8's and 1/2 inch plywood to box-enclose it. Plus I added a 3/4 inch piece of seasoned plywood for the floor .. then I added a 2-piece flip-top roof and a solid plywood 3/4 inch thick drop-down ramp at the back to facilitate riding my thousand pound harley davidson up the ramp and forward into the front wheel chocks I mounted on the floor at the front. It makes loading the bike (and my quad) extremely easy. Plus this trailer has been to the east coast of Canada TwICE (a round trip of 15,000 kms) and other than replacing all the wiring in it, it has performed admirably - with nary an issue. It worked its purchase price off multiple times over and still looks like it has many, many more miles in it yet. Admittedly, there are several (many) surface rust spots on it but so far no bearing issues but i guess I will have to check them before I go too far this summer .. just sayin'.

Cheers.

P1010046.JPG

View attachment 1425320 hey all, just my 2 cents worth here .. rather than rent a U-Haul trailer I picked up a 4 x 8 foot Snowbear trailer 10 years ago to help me move from Manitoba to British Columbia Canada - a distance of over 2400 kilometers (1500 miles) and for weather purposes i bought and installed several sheets of 5/8's and 1/2 inch plywood to box-enclose it. Plus I added a 3/4 inch piece of seasoned plywood for the floor .. then I added a 2-piece flip-top roof and a solid plywood 3/4 inch thick drop-down ramp at the back to facilitate riding my thousand pound harley davidson up the ramp and forward into the front wheel chocks I mounted on the floor at the front. It makes loading the bike (and my quad) extremely easy. Plus this trailer has been to the east coast of Canada TwICE (a round trip of 15,000 kms) and other than replacing all the wiring in it, it has performed admirably - with nary an issue. It worked its purchase price off multiple times over and still looks like it has many, many more miles in it yet. Admittedly, there are several (many) surface rust spots on it but so far no bearing issues but i guess I will have to check them before I go too far this summer .. just sayin'.

Cheers.

View attachment 1425321

for what its worth, this was the 1st version of the box that I added to facilitate the long move across Canada .. I have since torn this down, added a pointed extension at the front to mount the motorcycle front-wheel chock which extended it about 16 inches.

^^So where on the island are you? What kind of Cruiser do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom