Snow tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
i just had two Firestone snow tires installed on the back of my wife's 84 Mercedes 300d. When she gets in hyways with grooved pavement the tires pull her all over.

Does anyone have any wisdom of why this tread would do that?

We will probably switch out to a non-directional snow tire.

They were installed Saturday.
image.jpeg

I know with FWD cars it is recommended that all wheels have snow tires on them. That is what I have been doing for many years.

But back in the day when I had RWD cars I only used snow tires on the rear. I never had any issues, but that was before they had directional tires.

Are they balanced?

Sorry, I got nothing else for you.

Those don't look new.

I have Firestone Winterforce on the 4Runner and they are awesome in the snow.

Used tires can be tough. I tried that on a blazer.

Those MB's were horrible in the snow. Might just want to park it.

Customer once told me he had to put his wife in the trunk to get up the driveway. He said he didn't close the trunk. Lol

i just had two Firestone snow tires installed on the back of my wife's 84 Mercedes 300d. When she gets in hyways with grooved pavement the tires pull her all over.

Does anyone have any wisdom of why this tread would do that?

We will probably switch out to a non-directional snow tire.

They were installed Saturday.View attachment 1160474
Are you saying she gets pulled all over on grooved bare pavement or on icy grooved pavement? My experience with tires on grooved pavement is the more agressive (snow tread) and square shouldered the tire is - the more you get tossed around by the grooves. - Like the tires have too much traction. However, if you're talking icy grooved pavement, the only way to handle this is with 4 studded tires. Steering is at least as important on ice as traction (driving tires). One reason 4 studded tires should be run regardless of fwd or rwd. Most tire shops will only install 4 studded on fwd for handling reasons, but IMHO, if you need studs, you should be running them on all 4.

Uneven tire pressure? Don't trust the tire shop. -Steve

They are new... It was just a bad pic.

This is an IRS rear drive car. It has trailing arm-swing axles similar to 2nd gen VW beetles and carmengias.
When was the last time you had the suspension on the '84 checked, such as in a complete 4 wheel alignment? Since the car is 30+ yrs old and IRS you might want to take it to a shop that can do it. Check this out: Tramlining: Coping with the Ruts in the Road
Might be worth the checkup in any case, given the car's age.
Edit: This paragraph, well into the article, got my attention:
Suspension bushings, ball joints and shock absorber mounts have a direct influence on tramlining as well. As miles are driven and the years go by, the suspension's wear parts will deteriorate as they age. This often happens so slowly that it isn't very noticeable. Over time the ever-increasing suspension wear permits play that eventually allows the tire to be directed by the irregularities of the road rather than be controlled by the suspension.

Last edited:
So tires were switched to a non directional patten and now my wife can drive the grooved hwys.

I have considered the suspension bushing thing and was about to go there.
I'd have it checked out anyway if you drive it much. Sounds to me like the directional tires are just revealing a deeper issue. Glad the different tires help with the obvious handling issue. But, it's your call.

Snow tires, by design, have soft sidewalls. Running different tire side wall flexes will offer you an erratic ride (trammeling). Like wearing a boot on one foot and a running shoe on the other.

running only two snow tires on a 4 wheeled vehicle is, at best is hill-billy, at worst stupid. The thing is going to dangerously under steer in every turn. Get 4 and learn how much more traction and breaking threshold you have with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom