Snatch Block with or without hook? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am about to buy my first winch. And that means ancillary recovery gear.

Everything Ive seen and read says to use the snatch block that uses a D ring to attach.

Are there significant cons to using a snatch block with a swivel hook?

This is a swivel hook. If this is the hardware you are referring to then yes a Screw Pin Anchor Shackle (casually called a "D-Shackle" in 4wd circles) is a much better and more universal piece of hardware to carry in your recovery kit.

With a swivel hook you will still need a screw pin anchor or similar to attach the swivel hook to a snatch block; redundant.

Also comparing each to WLL you will see the swivel hook has a much larger form factor (takes up more storage space), is less universal in its application (relative to vehicle recovery) and will be much higher cost to purchase.

Just my $.02.

4UV36_AS01.jpeg

Last edited:
You have to take off the bolt that holds on the hook every time you use the pulley to put it on the wire. You have to fuddle with the hook, the bolt, the nut, cotter pin as well as the pulley itself. With a shackle there are only 2 pieces to deal with- the D ring and the pin. Less stuff to drop in the muck etc. The hook version might be better for permenant installation but it seems tedious to deal with if you need to put it on and remove it several times- especially with gloves on.

The shackle will have a smaller lighter pkg for the same WWL and will come in handy for other uses as well. I even took the hook off of my winch line and just throw on the shackle anytime I use the winch because the straps sit in the shackle better.

Pete

Thanks guys. These are the practical answers I was looking for.

Here is what I use:
http://shop.baileystowinginc.com/Baileys-Snatch-Block-BSB45.htm
Manufacturer:
Bailey's Towing Accessories Inc.
Item #:
BSB45
The Bailey’s Snatch Block is designed for operators who want a better all-purpose snatch block that is affordable and made in the USA. The 4” steel sheave is machined to a smooth finish for use with synthetic winchlines and cable up to 7/16”. A self-lubricating bronze bushing is pressed into the sheave for maintenance free use. The design of the laser cut side plates allows you to rig the block in seconds and utilize the large opening for a variety of rigging options. All steel parts have corrosion resistant zinc plating.

9,000 lb. WLL (4:1 Design Factor)
41,000 lb. Breaking Strength
Up to 7/16”
7.35 lbs

It was the only block that I found that listed the WLL. Quality block from a company that actually uses the products they sell to make a living.

Pete

I'm still researching but I think I found my answer. The hooks I can find are only good to about 12k.

Just an example...
http://www.e-rigging.com/3-inch-X-2...e_Gd-50YHVDjZlLhs1lNDm4Y7jAI8hZrFZxoCl5Tw_wcB

FWIW I use the older style steel Warn snatch block. Its seen a fair amount of use over the 9-years I've carried it. This wasn't available when I bought my snatch block but if buying today I'd probably buy the ARB unit: http://www.amazon.com/ARB-Products-...sim_263_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XYZC1Y5T1PHZ9BZK4P6

the military swivel hook is simple and easy to use no pins no fidelling just turn and hook .i use them because my pto winches are to strong for the warn and arb stuff .i have a couple of the older warn snatch blocks for my smaller 12 and 10,000 lb winches .

the military swivel hook is simple and easy to use no pins no fidelling just turn and hook .i use them because my pto winches are to strong for the warn and arb stuff .i have a couple of the older warn snatch blocks for my smaller 12 and 10,000 lb winches .

How about a pic of what your talking about ? Sounds like a good solution.
Having a swivel hook lets the cable unwind on heavy pulls and will reverse swivel when retrieving cable . Win win in my book :)

http://www.rangerindustrial.com.au/shop/lifting/swivel-hooks.html

On a hook= yes not a bad thing to have. The O.P. was asking about a snatch block. Not sure I'd want to have the block twisting around.

Pete

ive used the swivel blocks for over 40 years once they line up they dont turn or move .all my swivel blocks are used for the 5 ton wrecker by the military not saying what is right or wrong just my expereince with them. busy day going to recover 2 power wagons from the bottom of a gulley will post photos of the blocks way later if all goes well.i always overdo stuff in a recovery that way i never have any problems and no one gets hurt thats justs me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom