Smog test whizzes: Pressurized tank = good cap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
So, in the PRK here they do some sort of pressure testing on the fuel tank cap during the smog test. I imagine to make sure it's not venting those anti-civilization HCs to the atmosphere.
I got burned once already when I had to buy a cap at solid gold price from the smog testing station or have to come back for a retest. Ticked me off.
So I swore I would get a new cap for the test if there is any indication the cap may be bad.
That time of year again, unfortunately. Damn racket...

My question: my tank will pressurize in the heat, as in I can hear a distinct whoosh of pressure release when I open the cap. Does that mean for sure the cap is good and will pass the test? Or is that still possibly not good enough for the PRK?

Most likely, but like always, you never know until you test. What year is the truck? You in ca?

Nope - at least from my experience, holding pressure is not enough. My past inspection required a new cap since the old one (and a new 'spare') both failed on the test machine. At least the station I go to is 'nice' and we resolved the issue fairly with another cap :)

cheers,
george.

Haven't heard the release of pressure from my gas cap in sometime now and it passes inspection just fine...

Just bite the bullet and get it tested. It is a shake down and you have to get used to paying. East coast people know about this, but west coast people are just figuring it out.

thanks all.
I'm gonna take the 100 cap along and a cheapo new aftermarket one too. With 3 I should be good unless it's a scam. And I'll buy a good Toyota one from one of the good guys here when I have a chance for next time.
I see some mention of "vacuum-type" for some aftermarket caps, though. What's that about?

Mine failed a couple of years ago too. Guy was nice and gave me one of his to 'pass' me and I promised to replace the cap. Been going to his shop for years - smog only as I'm a gross polluter. Got the new cap from CDAN. Go spend the $20 on a new Yota cap!

Must be very recent. My 97 was tested beginning of this year. The test machine required it.

cheers,
george.

Must be very recent. My 97 was tested beginning of this year. The test machine required it.

cheers,
george.
Interesting, mine wasn't. I thought it was odd at the time. That was in April.

:meh:

Mine had the hissssssssssssssssssssssss but failed the cap test. A new one for $6 from Vatozone passed.

OK, with both you and George noting that, it seems that the pressure is indeed not a valid criterion for cap passing, hardware wise. Odd. But good to know.

(edited for preserving citizens jury nullification prerogative...)

I looked it up on the California BAR site, they have the latest (I think) Smog check guide on there (2013) and I found this:

-------------
"Emission Control Functional Tests

1.4.4 EGR System Functional Test All 1995 model-year and older vehicles equipped with EGR and subject to a two-speed idle test shall undergo the EGR functional test. Inspectors must follow the functional test procedures prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer.

1.4.5 Fuel Cap Integrity Test As prompted by EIS, perform the fuel cap integrity test on all 1976 to 1995 vehicles ... "
----------------

and double checked on another table, so, yes, it looks like no cap, EGR, timing (and something else) test after 95. That is good. (Uh, George...?)

Last edited:
You have to get used to the shake downs (called "Fees" in PRK).

The smog testing industry has their own lobbyists that get them more fees and higher fees and the politicians get their kickbacks for their reelection. It is what happens in a one party state. It is even worse in MD and MA. They have been doing annual auto shakedowns ("Inspections") for a lot longer.

The BAR does stings to catch shady smog shops. There is a guy in our local club that works for them and does the stings, but I won't mention his name because he would get a lot of hate mail.

LOL - I know him too and would never rat him out! Too nice a guy!! Even more silly now on the '05's and up IIRC that they now just let the OBDII tell the smog police what's going on. No more dyno or sniffer...unless you have an old truck like mine where all they can do is sniff the tail pipe. They are so stupid. Failed once because I had a bad O2 sensor and got labeled a gross polluter. Every test since then has been about as clean as it gets and I'll always still be labeled a gross polluter! Go figure - guess there's no way to get off that 'list'. Gas cap test and gas tank pressure test are just more ways to increase fees. Had to laugh the first pressure test I had done. Didn't know about it and went in with almost an empty tank of gas. My guy bemoaned the fact that I was using his entire tank of nitrogen filling up my near empty tank!

as a side suggestion on Brent's reminder: if you do have any inkling that you may be labelled a gross polluter, you can ask for a Pre-inspection as discussed in the (CA) state documentation and you will not be automatically labelled as a gross polluter in the system at that point (from what I can tell), giving you the opportunity to fix things if you fail the pre-inspection.

LOL - I know him too and would never rat him out! Too nice a guy!! Even more silly now on the '05's and up IIRC that they now just let the OBDII tell the smog police what's going on. No more dyno or sniffer...unless you have an old truck like mine where all they can do is sniff the tail pipe. They are so stupid. Failed once because I had a bad O2 sensor and got labeled a gross polluter. Every test since then has been about as clean as it gets and I'll always still be labeled a gross polluter! Go figure - guess there's no way to get off that 'list'. Gas cap test and gas tank pressure test are just more ways to increase fees. Had to laugh the first pressure test I had done. Didn't know about it and went in with almost an empty tank of gas. My guy bemoaned the fact that I was using his entire tank of nitrogen filling up my near empty tank!
98-up diesel no tailpipe, 00-up gas and hybrid no tailpipe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom