Smog Test, Blown Head Gasket and Lessons Learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to share an unfortunate story in the hope that no one will make the same mistake.

I posted my 1994 Land Cruiser for sale about a week ago and then on October 2nd took it to an authorized mechanic for a CA pre-sale smog inspection. In my haste I simply looked up local mechanic X who is authorized to perform smog tests.

About an hour after dropping the cruiser off I returned and, as expected, was handed a pass with no issues. When I got in the cruiser and turned the key I immediately noticed it ran rough and the idle was lower than it should be. Knowing is a typical symptom of something simple like a battery being disconnected and knowing I was late for work I decided to drive away. Other than the rough idle at low rpm's and minor lack of low end power everything was fine. When I got home from work I decided to do some poking around to verify they hadn't left a EGR hose unhooked or something similar so I opened the hood. Everything was hooked up properly but I immediately noticed the coolant overflow tank was full to the top and there was coolant in the engine compartment below the overflow valve. Since it was Friday I decided to let it sit for the weekend.

This issue was eating at me so on Sunday I decided to take it for a short drive and get to diagnosing it again. I adjusted the overflow coolant level and fired it up. It was running even rougher and the check engine light immediately came on. I shut it down and diagnosed codes 25 & 26. On Monday I limped it back to the smog mechanic who proceeded to tell me "its an older vehicle so we didn't open the hood". I, like everyone on this website, know that is complete crap and I asked if the checked the timing, checked the EGR, checked the charcoal canister, checked for aftermarket equipment...? They said yeah but we didn't mess anything up. I finally convinced them to come out and "look" under the hood. The mechanic then proceeded to blame everything on a small crack at the base of the upper ventilation hose and again said they didn't do anything wrong.

I purchased a new hose from the local dealership, installed it, pulled the EFI fuse to reset the ECU and then drove it to my office where we have a team of heavy equipment mechanics on staff. No big surprise that the replacement hose did nothing, the check engine light returned and the cruiser still ran rough. The heavy equipment mechanics quickly diagnosed the #1 cylinder had a sudden/rapid/catastrophic head gasket failure and was full of coolant. I drove the cruiser home and am now faced with replacing the head gasket.

The heavy equipment mechanics asked me where I took the vehicle and then all agreed that I made a big mistake. One of them said he will never take a vehicle to this mechanic because he caught them clamping an upper radiator hose with pliers so they could get the engine up to temperature and make it would pass smog on his Ford Ranger.

Basically its on me now because I know that it doesn't matter what actually happened, it only matters what you can prove.

Whenever possible do your own work and never let anyone you don't know or trust touch your vehicle, even if it is for a simple smog check.

Learned this the hard way too.

Sent from my iPad

I don't get what the problem is. What is it that they didn't do? I'm pretty happy when I pass. You think the smog tech blew your head gasket? That is unlikely. The test procedure changed recently so maybe they don't check the same stuff that they used to.

I have to agree that it seems unlikely that a smog test even poorly conducted or with improvised tweaks could have busted the headgasket. And not even much time for a joy ride in your case....
Are you thinking they stopped coolant flow for long enough that the engine overheated? That would be odd because it takes quite a bit for the thermostat to even open on mine when starting from cold.

Your head gasket was ready to blow, it just didn't happen with you behind the wheel. Those heavy equipment mechanics should have told you to call a roll back to get it home and not drive it, although you already had been driving it around with a dead miss. Coolant doesn't make for a nice film of lubricant on the cylinder wall. Replace head gasket ? more like replace / rebuild engine. Do the head gasket as a PM and avoid cylinder wall wear and piston scuffing !

if a cylinder is full of coolant, wall wear is the least of your worries...

if a cylinder is full of coolant, wall wear is the least of your worries...

Cylinder full of coolant = hydrolock. Actually, it doesn't take that much. If it's running, that's not happening.

Otherwise you're right, it takes a lot of coolant in the oil to create a lubrication failure.

I agree, it's doubtful the mechanic caused it.

Definitely BS because ca smog test requires the place to open the hood and check timing with a timing gun.

I've had my shared of paying mechanic doing things and have poor results, this is why I started working on the cruiser myself.

This is so true. I was a poor high school student so i learned to work on my own old broken down crap. When i got a real job, real car i felt i was an adult and could pay someone else to take care of things. Soon i realized it was more work to deal with other peoples mistakes than doing it RIGHT myself.

Your first mistake is leaving the truck alone with a smog tech. FYI majority of smog techs are jokes. When i smog my truck im right there over my guys back watching like a hawk. Second mess up is leaving the grounds knowing your truck is running different. I would of snaped.

Lesson learned i guess. Guess all you can do now is run up in his house while he sleeps and perfrom a B&E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom