Smittybilt X2O fitment to ARB bull bar bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking at the truck, it doesn't seem to be sagging much at all up front, @hamishpotter

Sweet 80! Just because I saw that you guys where on the winch and winch line topic earlier I can clear some stuff up for you. The Differences between a 8k winch and a 12k winch is generally the planetary gearing, the planetary case can be bigger but generally not enough to cause problems.

Also, Synthetic is not as sensitive to sun as many would think. Our shop truck sits parked on the side of the street every day of the week (except for Sundays) with the winch almost completely exposed to to the elements. We have had our synthetic line on it for almost 5 years now and you cannot tell. Synthetic winchline came from the marine industry and has been designed to be left and used on commercial fishing vessels year round. The best part is that synthetic is about 1/6th of the weight of cable and substantially stronger.

~Jeff

btw MDJ where did you pick up your winch, Amazon? I'm about to pull the trigger but wondering if there's a vendor who respects 'Mud I can buy from for whatever discount. Also did you get the wireless remote control with yours? Just curious.

Thanks!

J

btw MDJ where did you pick up your winch, Amazon? I'm about to pull the trigger but wondering if there's a vendor who respects 'Mud I can buy from for whatever discount. Also did you get the wireless remote control with yours? Just curious.

Thanks!

J

Yeah, bought it on amazon. It came with the wireless remote as well as a corded option.

Quick note, my fairlead is not installed correctly. You'll need to fit it all the way up into the mount, re-drill the holes for the bolts and source 2 5/8" lag bolts and nylon nuts for the vertical rollers. Remove the circlips and roller axles and replace with the bolts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434805539.519053.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434805554.419886.jpg

Yeah, bought it on amazon. It came with the wireless remote as well as a corded option.

Quick note, my fairlead is not installed correctly. You'll need to fit it all the way up into the mount, re-drill the holes for the bolts and source 2 5/8" lag bolts and nylon nuts for the vertical rollers. Remove the circlips and roller axles and replace with the bolts.

View attachment 1095470View attachment 1095472

Thx MDJ, I went with synthetic since I'm in the rust belt so different lead for me. Should install next week thanks again for your help

J

Good call for sure. Absolutely, let me know if I can help anymore. Since we're apparently the first 2 to install this winch on this bumper, be sure to post up!

MDJ I finally installed. Will post a small thread and thanks for your help, made a big difference!

James

Hey! That's great. I'm glad you were able to get it done. Just drop some pictures in this thread if you want. It'll make the search for info easier for folks in the future.

OK so I finally got mine on my ARB bumper, no small thanks to @MDJ

de-boxed it, after picking up some 3/8" aluminum 1" x 1" spacers

20150718_172215.jpg

Took it apart a bit and noticed some odd "markings" on the rotor - anyone seen this before, is it normal??

20150718_150735.jpg

Color coded and labeled wiring was a cinch..

20150718_165635.jpg

Also referenced this thread..

20150718_171952.jpg

ARB full bars came in handy for installation - I highly recommend this method:

20150718_172448.jpg

Presto! Great fit, thanks to @MDJ 's advice on spacing and bolts..

20150718_235231.jpg

Just bought the XRC 9.5 synethetic. Going to reference this thread when I get to install because I've never installed a winch and have no idea what I'm doing. How easy is it to fab up those spacers? How will I know if I need them? Thanks.

@RedStar I'm assuming you have an ARB deluxe bull bar? If so take the winch out and place it so the mounting screw match with the four holes in the front of the bumper (on the inside, where the winch will go). if the receier holes on the winch come right up to the holes in the bumper, you don't need spacers. In my case with the 12k the ends of the winch itself make contact with the bumper where it bends in, so you need spacers to push it back a quarter or half inch for clearance. Does that make sense?

Otherwise installation was a breeze. I recommend using some rope on the top of the bull bar to hoist it into place - that made this a one person job. Wiring instructions are also very easy, and I'm not mechanically inclined.

HTH

J

@RedStar I'm assuming you have an ARB deluxe bull bar? If so take the winch out and place it so the mounting screw match with the four holes in the front of the bumper (on the inside, where the winch will go).

Yep ARB installed about a month ago, was just waiting on July 4th deals to pop up and found a pretty good one. ($349 for the 9.5 synthetic!)

@RedStar
if the receier holes on the winch come right up to the holes in the bumper, you don't need spacers. In my case with the 12k the ends of the winch itself make contact with the bumper where it bends in, so you need spacers to push it back a quarter or half inch for clearance. Does that make sense?

I think that makes sense. I've been looking at the X2O's vs the XRC's and the X2O's do have a little more bend on the actual ends of the winch than the XRC.

I couldn't find one wound with synthetic, but the winch below is the same winch as the one I bought and based off of the picture, it looks like it might not need a spacer? I guess I'll find out this afternoon.
nm1_6596.jpg

Thanks!

@RedStar I'm assuming you have an ARB deluxe bull bar? If so take the winch out and place it so the mounting screw match with the four holes in the front of the bumper (on the inside, where the winch will go). if the receier holes on the winch come right up to the holes in the bumper, you don't need spacers. In my case with the 12k the ends of the winch itself make contact with the bumper where it bends in, so you need spacers to push it back a quarter or half inch for clearance. Does that make sense?

Otherwise installation was a breeze. I recommend using some rope on the top of the bull bar to hoist it into place - that made this a one person job. Wiring instructions are also very easy, and I'm not mechanically inclined.

HTH

J

Did you have to use an offset hawse fairlead?

I just ordered one from Slee because the opening didn't line up with the fairlead Smittybilt provided.

Hmm - mine lined up. maybe it's different for the 12K? Slee fairlead is slicker anyways

Hmm - mine lined up. maybe it's different for the 12K? Slee fairlead is slicker anyways

Here's how my fairlead lined up. It's all jacked up.
IMG_4980_zpsgdvumg68.jpg
IMG_4985_zps009v1rh0.jpg

The hole in the bumper lines up terribly. I can't even install my rope yet out of fear of it getting pinched and doing damage.

Here's a few more close up pics so you can see the openings around the top corners.

IMG_4984_zps0l69tagw.jpg

IMG_4983_zpspvyoardt.jpg

So yours didn't have this issue at all? I wonder if they relocated the mounting holes on the newer ARB bumpers. Weird.

I just got X20 10K winch yesterday. My ARB bumper should be here next week.
What was the length bolt you guys ended up using? I see the picture with the tape measure but metric bolts are sold in mm.
Thanks to MDJ and everyone else for posting this helpful info!

Jake

Last edited:
One more question, have you added the vertical bolts to your roller fairlead to attach it to the bumper? If so what length and size did you end up going with?

Since you all have some years/ use on your X20, I was wondering if the feedback is still positive? Looking to install a X20 12k synthetic on my ARB Bumper soon. Minus the 1"" spacers were there any other modifications required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom