1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sm465 question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ_MONSTER, Jan 2, 2003.

1. FJ_MONSTER

FJ_MONSTER

is the adapter plate for the sm420 the same as the sm465 when going to a 3spd case? ???
    i know that the 420 is shorter but i dont know if the output sides of the trannies are the same.
    and if anybody has this "said" adapter for a sm465 i need it. so if youre willing to part with it let me know.
    thanks fellas :D

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    same idea, different adapter. the SM420 is "only" a 2wd tranny with a 10-spline output....earlier 4WD SM465 trannies also had this 10-spline output. Later 4wd SM465's and the 2WD version run a different spline count (can't recall what tho...)

I have "said" adapter...but it's installed and in use...heh ehh

the "only" source I'm aware of for the plate-style is Classic Cruisers is Salida CO

3. FJ_MONSTER

FJ_MONSTER

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

So is the hgh spline count 4WD SM465 sitting on my garage floor about worthless or can I use it in a doubler case or something?

5. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    IIRC, AA makes an adapter for the high-spline 4WD SM465...might check with Marlin too and see if his is for the 10 or 23? spline versions.

If you were planning to use a plate adapter with the SM465, you either need to drill/tap the output for the retaining bolt or replace the shaft with the ~$125 one from Classic Cruisers....

since yer spline count doesn't match the 10-spline input of the early t-case, I'd recommend a replacement mainshaft...heh heh heh <wink><wink>

6. Jeepdude_Jay

Jeepdude_Jay

I have said adapter. Yes, for Cruiser, even though I am a Jeep guy. E-mail me.