SM420 Pilot Bearing ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock SM420 bearing retainer can be used (make sure you get one with an inner seal) but you need to press an thin piece of tubing over the retainer to make up for the larger hole in the TO bearing.

Now my brain farts are hurting.....if the 420 retainer is shaved 3/8" that should eliminate the need for the 220RRE. My old man (one of the original founders of MTA) had this conversion done years ago from Mangi (now MS Auto gears in Santa Clara,CA) and it very well looks like he took off some metal to fit. I'll try talking to him but there is a slight language barrier. SO, Q#2: if 3/8 is taken off the retainer I should be good to go.

You do not need to shaft the stock 420 bearing retainer at all. It's OD is SMALLER in diameter than the stock LC Throwouts bearing assembly ID. So you need to add metal.

After taking a closer look and reading many different ways from lathing the TO sleeve to...so many ways, this web site along with you guys has been helpful. I'll get her put together and keep in touch w/future problem/learning curves. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom