Sloppy steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do far all the ones I have tried have worked fine. I have pulled one from Camaro, a wagoneer and a cherokee. I know there is one more I have tried, but can't recall what I got it from.

There are a bunch of saginaw boxes out there. Most differences include 3 or 4 bolt mount, hose hook up style and ratio. I have a late 60s camero box I bought brand new. Not sure of the exact ratio but it is very quick. The locker will cause all kinds of issues. If the tire pressure is not almost exactly the same side to side you will lock and unlock at speed. Each time you will get pulled around to one side. This is especially bad when you let off after being under acceleration. My 40 used to jump almost 1/2 a lane. The drop pittman arm can only help. I should do it someday. I have a straight arm but my box is angled up slightly so my angle is even more severe. I have yet to really have any issue with it.

One more thing to look at this the spline count and the diameter of the input shaft. IIRC The older are 36 spline and 13/16" and the new are 30 spline and 3/4".
BTW, the Borgeson site has some good information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom