Slip Sliding Away...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems that at anything more than a 20-30 degree pitch on a muddy/snowy/sloppy road, and I'll just lose my footing and the momentum of my 80 just goes, and I'm along for the ride. Even if I downshift into 1st gear. I am running Big O Bigfoots with 50% on them. Any suggestions?

It seems that at anything more than a 20-30 degree pitch on a muddy/snowy/sloppy road, and I'll just lose my footing and the momentum of my 80 just goes, and I'm along for the ride. Even if I downshift into 1st gear. I am running Big O Bigfoots with 50% on them. Any suggestions?

Duratrack's with Studs or a winter specific tire with the soft winter compound a lots of sipping. All season with M&S work OK in snow BUT usually don't always work very well on ice.

Is the tail end spinning around? Is the Abs functioning?

Hi or Lo? CDL locked? or locked truck or lunchbox locker or welded rear??

Unlocked, in low (1st), ABS likes to push back, even with new drilled and slotted rotors.

Different tires maybe. I have run big o bigfoot at's and big o mt's and was disappointed with both, especially in snow and ice. I felt like they were really hard compounds. I was only able to get 24000 miles out of either tire and the mt's chunked really bad.

Not sure what big o bigfoots are but they sound like a cheap knock off. Prob your problem. Tire compound is important. Cheaper the tire the harder the compound. Like trying to stick to pavement with plastic.

Airing down may help too if you arent. More contact patch.

Not sure what big o bigfoots are but they sound like a cheap knock off. Prob your problem. Tire compound is important. Cheaper the tire the harder the compound. Like trying to stick to pavement with plastic.

this is so true, I learned this on my toyota echo, when I bought it it had some cheapo chinese tires that were like bricks, they howled on the freeway, I replaced them and the car is so much quiter......

Big O is a Tire Chain. They have their own line of tires which are probably re-brands from tire makers. Discount Tire Direct does similar things but instead of using their own DTD name, they just have special models with particular manufacturers that are sold exclusively through their stores and online retail outlets.

I agree, it sounds like just subpar quality tires in extreme conditions. Play with tire pressures to start.

I'm thinking the same thing. The compound seems really hard. They'll be great in summer, but they suck in snow/cold weather. Funny thing is, I have the same in a 235/75/15 on my D21 4x4, and they are a softer compound rubber. I actually really like them in that size. They seem a better alternative to the BFG AT.

For me when driving on ice and snow its all about not using the brakes and looking way ahead and planning for the worst always, having said that I have never used chains and lived in the Sierra Nevadas for 12 years.

...and there's also the part about how steep it is. 20 degrees is fairly steep for icy or muddy conditions. 30 degrees is getting fairly steep for dry dirt. I think the "5 Fingers" hill climb at Hollister Hills is about 32 degrees at the top. I think their "Competition Hill Climb" is about 35 (but rutted and DEEP dust).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom