1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skid Plate?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cruzer, May 8, 2003.

1. cruzer

cruzer

What are you guys doing for skid plates to protect your tranny/transfer cases?

I am planning on attaching a piece of 3in angle to the frame hanging down then put a piece of 1/4in plate across that. That will be right under the transfer/PTO box. Then the forward part i was going to cut at an angle (about 10inches with a 3 inch rise) then weld on another plate to that...kind of like the picture...clear as mud eh? anyway i know it reduces my clearence in about a 20 inch arear but thats much better than havin my transfer get wacked by a big giant rock and split open...

Stew

2. kstatecruiser

kstatecruiser

That looks good. I don't know if you need quite a 1/4" plate, but whatever floats you boat. I don't know if you would need that front angled piece to go all the way up to the frame. I would just cut the bottom piece about six inches longer and bend an angle up on the front and the back. So it will look like a wide "U" with a flat bottom. Another thing to make sure of it to account for your drive shaft droop.

I think I just talked myself into making one for my cruiser.

Scott

3. cruzer

cruzer

haha yeah i think it will work good...not matter i am doin it tonight cause i don't want to damage my goods....

One guy in the club used 3/8s plate...looks really nice and spent lots of time on it...all sculpted around the transfercase and stuff....

Well i plan on landing on this thin at least once or twice in it's life time...1/4 will probably give a little...i think 1/8th would be way to thin and just bend...3/16th may not be a bad inbetween...i guess it all depends on what you want to do.

Stew

4. bsilva132

bsilva132

Media:
    That is basically my exact skid plate.  You will need to notch the front for the d-shaft.  I am thinking about redoing mine though becasue I don't need it to hang that low across the whole span.  I basically want to make it flush up to the t-case tranny and then 90 back to the original 3" overhang.  1/4" is way beefy.  It is what mine is made of (what I had sitting around) and it is one heay mother. You need a slanted lip on the back to so you dont get hung up when backing up.

5. cruzer

cruzer

Kewl thanks for the input... I need mine to go all the way across cause i have a PTO unit going on sometime in my lifetime...

Stew