size vs weight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The base of this post with be on tire size (hight and width) vs weight. I have a stock fj80 with the 3fe, stock gearing, living in south west arizona. I need new tires badly and would like a 33 but most of those are 12.5 and weigh about 55-60lbs. I am concerned that this amout of extra weight is goin to kill my already sluggish performance. Anyone with 33" wrangler mtr, cooper stt, km2 or the falkin wildpeak at. Please chime in. Aslo any other good tire suggestions.

I recently got a set of Cooper ST Maxx 285/75r16s. I'm really happy with them and noticed almost no difference in performance from the old 265s. I have a FZJ though.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419663002.126044.jpg

Yes, the 33×10.5/15 have been on my list but I have read reviews that state they dig in sand. So I question the flotation of them down here in the Southwest.

Hi all,

So, how much does the typical example of the stock size tire weigh in comparison to the typical example of the "33 inch" tire?

I'd bet that five of the larger size tires would add only ~100 pounds to the weight of the vehicle, overall. This could be easily be mitigated by going through the gear in the truck and ditching stuff that is unnecessary.

My US$00.02

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The base of this post with be on tire size (hight and width) vs weight. I have a stock fj80 with the 3fe, stock gearing, living in south west arizona. I need new tires badly and would like a 33 but most of those are 12.5 and weigh about 55-60lbs. I am concerned that this amout of extra weight is goin to kill my already sluggish performance. Anyone with 33" wrangler mtr, cooper stt, km2 or the falkin wildpeak at. Please chime in. Aslo any other good tire suggestions.

different type of weight though
The old racing ballpark figure is every 1kg of rotating (unsprung) mass you can remove is equivalent to 3kg of weight (sprung mass)

so adding 100lbs (45kg for us metric people) is like adding 300lbs (135kg) of weight to the vehicle.

I know i can feel when i have my hj47 loaded up for a week of camping (adding about 100kgs)

Hence why I'm looking at going back to an OEM HJ60 16" split rim for 4x4/touring and getting a lightweight alloy wheel with light truck road tyres for daily driving (LT tyres to improve fuel economy, reduce road noise, cheaper tyre with longer life)

So after looking long and fare for good tires for Russ (my fj80) i wanted to go with the BFG km2 33x10.5r15. well after talking with discount tire and a phone call to BFG, the will not be making that size in that tire anymore. looks like i will be going with the Toyo mt in the same size even though it has 6 more pounds per tire.

You might try a search here, that rumor has been around a while and people still seem to be able to find them.

Sorry, I see you talked to bfg, but before it seemed to be a misunderstanding? Maybe it's my memory that's bad.

I have been able to find a set here and there but after I trash one witch the km2 is not known for its strength in the sidewall area...... I would be left with buying a new set of tires again.

Hi all,

On my FJ40 (with 2F engine) I switched from 33X12.5R15 BF Goodrich MT radials to Interco Super Swamper TSL bias ply tires (of the same size) a few years ago. The truck is a trail rig, but I drive it on the freeway/highway 150 miles to 'wheeling spots.

There is no doubt that the bias ply Swamper TSL tires are heavier than the BFG MT radials. But the highway performance is not that much affected (seat-of-the-pants feel.)

BTW, if you want improved fuel economy and better road manners don't get "LT" rated tires, get "P" rated tires.

Regards,

Alan

different type of weight though
The old racing ballpark figure is every 1kg of rotating (unsprung) mass you can remove is equivalent to 3kg of weight (sprung mass)

so adding 100lbs (45kg for us metric people) is like adding 300lbs (135kg) of weight to the vehicle.

I know i can feel when i have my hj47 loaded up for a week of camping (adding about 100kgs)

Hence why I'm looking at going back to an OEM HJ60 16" split rim for 4x4/touring and getting a lightweight alloy wheel with light truck road tyres for daily driving (LT tyres to improve fuel economy, reduce road noise, cheaper tyre with longer life)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom