Should I replace my Viscous Coupler as PM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I have been a "lurker" for years and finally decided to make a profile. My question is should I replace my VC as PM? I know they are a sealed unit and the fluid eventually does go bad and it can seize up... My wallet is telling me if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My truck is in the shop getting the top end rebuild and a blower installed. She has 240000 miles on her and so I am worried about the coupler because of the high mileage and they extra strain from the hp increase. I just wanted opinions on what I should do.

I called Cruiser Dan and he told me that he has never sold one in 10 years and has a high mileage blown 80 with no problems on his original VC (and 100,000 miles with the sc). There are only two in the US at the moment so the demand is low. He has a great rep on here and he could have taken 1300 from me if he wanted to convince me that the part was needed. This all lends me to believe that I am worrying about nothing and should just drive it till it seizes up. (I know it feels like the CDL is locked when it is seized).

So I am looking for honest opinions especially from you forced induction and V8 swap guys. Thanks!

There's PM and then there's OCD... your post falls into the latter...

cheers,
george.

I think you answered your own question.
If it goes then would be a good time to go with a part time kit & Marlin Crawler T gears.

No.

And if Dan says no, then HE77 NO!

Oh yeah....Welcome to Mud!

Thanks guys! So even with the extra power its a 100% ocd non pm item?

Welcome :flipoff2:

As per above (except the PT kit), FWIW I kept a spare from my old transfer box but doubt it will be ever needed, if yours fails you can simply remove it, and drive the car and forget about it. They do not offer a great deal of forward motion anyway, just smooth's out the driveline and gives a little extra push when both wheels on one axle have lost traction.

After replacing my gear and transfer boxes I did not fit the front propshaft, the car moved under the power of the VC but only a few MPH, it was as if the clutch was slipping really bad, of course I have the CDL mod, press a button and go ;).

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Refer to my previous post.

Unless you are already experiencing problems with it, then, no...again.

Most people swap to part time kits instead of putting in a new VC. Wait until then and do a PT kit. Start gathering parts now.....

I have several spares, and don't even have one in my rig.:hillbilly: Basically, whenever we have a rear housing off of a transfer, we remove them. If it's in good condition and don't need to be in the transfer, I would leave it alone. If it gives up or need to be in the transfer, simply remove it, takes one snap ring.

I'm confused on the 'sealed part' & $1,300. Are you talking about replacing the whole t-case or just the toothed ring that is the VC?

The VC has little to do with a PT kit so how does that tie in? Even without the VC the drivetrain is still 4wd, as per 'Tools r us', many simply take it out.

And FWIW when my CDL was used so I could drive with just RWD the car ploughs on (under steer) on any corners taken with anything more than a little power. 4WD makes this big heavy car a very safe machine IMO AND IME.

regards

Dave

I'm confused on the 'sealed part' & $1,300. Are you talking about replacing the whole t-case or just the toothed ring that is the VC?
The VC is sealed so you cannot change the fluid (I don't really know if that would help anyways). And a new VC costs 1300$.
I am one of those guys who will never part time it. I intentionally bought an unlocked 80 bc I wanted a rear mechanical Aussie with full time 4wd (most reliable and dependable rear locker option for full time AWD IMO). I will eventually swap in a new front axle with an e-locker but for my uses a center and rear locker are more than enough. Also with you guys who are saying pull it if it goes bad. That is a great option if you cannot afford a new one but you essentially make your truck 1 wheel drive and it apparently gets very "clunky".
Cruiser Dan advised me over the phone not to delete it (his wife has an 80 with it deleted so he has personal experience with the issue). Dan said to replace it if it ever goes bad.
Does all that sound about right guys? Except for the part that could start an e-locker vs. lunchbox vs. air locker debate. Leave that to the other threads that debate that issue in detail. Thank you for all of the advice.

The VC has little to do with a PT kit so how does that tie in? Even without the VC the drivetrain is still 4wd, as per 'Tools r us', many simply take it out.

And FWIW when my CDL was used so I could drive with just RWD the car ploughs on (under steer) on any corners taken with anything more than a little power. 4WD makes this big heavy car a very safe machine IMO AND IME.

regards

Dave

I thought the VC was removed and a spool was installed in place of it, THEN the CDL would lock it up or it would be in 2WD. I have not dug into the TC on these before so I must have misunderstood what I read previously.

Looking for clarification.

That is exactly right. But you do lose the differential part of the TC and it becomes much more like a normal 4x4 where you won't want to run locked on dry pavement, etc.

I thought the VC was removed and a spool was installed in place of it, THEN the CDL would lock it up or it would be in 2WD. I have not dug into the TC on these before so I must have misunderstood what I read previously.

Looking for clarification.

... Also with you guys who are saying pull it if it goes bad. That is a great option if you cannot afford a new one but you essentially make your truck 1 wheel drive and it apparently gets very "clunky". ...

The rig is essentially one wheel drive stock, other than being a clunk dampener, the VC is basically useless. The '91 & '92 FJ80 and 100 series use the same family of transfer, but don't have the VC. Why did Toyota remove it in the 100,,, likely because it's just an overpriced/over engineered/not very effective, clunk dampener?:hillbilly:

That is exactly right. But you do lose the differential part of the TC and it becomes much more like a normal 4x4 where you won't want to run locked on dry pavement, etc.

Ummm.....that's not what @Dave 2000 said........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom