should i paint my 8274 gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm rebuilding my grandaddy's 8274. it's been sitting in my uncle's shop for 25 years. when i opened it up, the gears were absolutely covered in rust and the spool was seized to the main gear. I was finally able to get the spool out using wooden wedges and a BFH.

I've had really good success with apple cider vinegar to remove the rust from the gears, the brake ratchet and the spool.

photo%2B1.JPG
photo%2B2.JPG
photo%2B3.JPG
photo%2B4.JPG

I plan to paint the spool and brake ratchet with gloss black implement paint and the casing and brake discs with the Plastikote aluminum color paint referenced in flintknapper's rebuild thread. I'm wondering if i should paint the faces (but not the toothed edges) of the gears to keep them from rusting in the future. any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

If you maintain it and make sure there is gear oil and crack the case every once in a while you shouldn't need to worry about the gears rusting again. I personally wouldn't paint them as oil runs over them.

Those gears look fine. They run in oil, so if you paint them, it will just contaminate the oil with paint flakes.

Your granddad's winch? That alone is very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom