Shop question about 220v outlets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A typical dryer plug has 4 wires. A neutral, a ground and TWO hot wires.

A US dryer plug will typically have only 3 wires to it and it's plug is a 240V, 30A receptacle with a different configuration from Canadian ones. Instead of running a neutral wire to the dryer they actually connect the ground wire to the neutral inside the appliance (a big no-no in the Canadian code) but it works. I realized this on a training course last year in the States and when I got home I couldn't find the receptacle used in the code book here. Different way of doing things I guess but it works, although it's not the best way to do it. .....Steve

A US dryer plug will typically have only 3 wires to it and it's plug is a 240V, 30A receptacle with a different configuration from Canadian ones. Instead of running a neutral wire to the dryer they actually connect the ground wire to the neutral inside the appliance (a big no-no in the Canadian code) but it works. I realized this on a training course last year in the States and when I got home I couldn't find the receptacle used in the code book here. Different way of doing things I guess but it works, although it's not the best way to do it. .....Steve

After about 1996 dryers and ranges started showing up with microprocessors that required a dedicated common line. Thus the switch from the three lug NEMA 10-30 (Dryer) and 10-50 (Range) to a new four lugs dryer and range plug, one NEMA 14-30 for dryers rated at 30A and one NEMA 14-50 for ranges rated at 50A. By code in most areas, the electrical plug for a dryer and range in new construction is four prong.

After about 1996 dryers and ranges started showing up with microprocessors that required a dedicated common line. Thus the switch from the three lug NEMA 10-30 (Dryer) and 10-50 (Range) to a new four lugs dryer and range plug, one NEMA 14-30 for dryers rated at 30A and one NEMA 14-50 for ranges rated at 50A. By code in most areas, the electrical plug for a dryer and range in new construction is four prong.

Cool. Up here you can't even get the same three lug receptacle you use(d) down there. Code says "the identified conductor shal not be bonded to ground after the service equipment". I've never seen the older US way of doing it until this past Nov when I went to the Whirlpool service school in Cali for an updater for a course I was teaching. ....Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom