Shocks for Bantam Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
I am getting ready to install a pair of axle shocks to my unknown year Bantam trailer. I have the lower shock mount pins that can be welded to the lower spring plates and just designing the upper shock pillars mounts that go in the frame gussets. Just need to know where folks bought the shocks for a conversion like this and what was the max length of the shock fully open and when fully compressed. Pretty much the same as a 416

Thanks

_3061860.jpg

Many, many years ago I made up a spreadsheet listing the dimensions of all known at the time domestic shock absorber part numbers. Las tthat I knew a full size Bronco site was still hosting it. ShockSpec.xls I think is the file name.

Thanks guys I am checking this info out.

Post up final pics? Need to add shocks to my Bantam too...thought about using Cj2a Jeep spring plates for lower shock mounts and welding in the upper mount.

LakeNorman_FJ40, put the trailer in my shop last week to start but as usual ended up working or having to do something else.
I did buy some small sized steel to build the upper shock mount box plates that will fit into the frame channel as close as original as I can get and the am just going to modify the lower spring plates just by welding a steel shock rod that can be bought at most trailer part sales with a backing washer to the lower underside but a CJ2a will work.

Cheers
SHOCK-BRACKET-EARLY-BANTAM.jpg

SHOCK-BRACKET-LATER-BANTAM.jpg

shock-mounts.jpg

Converto_T-6-Bottom1.jpg

Bantam03.jpg

So rockauto has cj2 spring plates for $10 ea and the right shocks for $20 ea. I'm thinking for less then $100 I can make shocks happen for my trailer. The only thing I haven't sourced are the upper shock mount studs. Once I have those I can bend up brackets and figure out where in the frame channel they need to be mounted.

Half K. I used steering damper bolts from my 80 after replacing and getting new hardware with thr new stabilizer. Maybe a hardware kit can be found? Or have old hardware laying around? Just a thought

Half K. I used steering damper bolts from my 80 after replacing and getting new hardware with thr new stabilizer. Maybe a hardware kit can be found? Or have old hardware laying around? Just a thought

Dorman makes a shock bolt #31001 that I was able to source at the local CARQUEST. I will just have to make a bracket for it. The hard part is I don't know how far in on the frame I need to locate said bracket. Maybe @love2fly has a measurement ? I also need the shock and the lower plate in order to make sure I set the bolt depth properly so they line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom