1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock towers

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Eternal, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Eternal

Eternal

I have been collecting parts,the 70 fj40, for the major fall conversion I have the 'might as well do it all at once' attitude now. A friend suggested that I go with extended shock towers. The plan is a 2.5 skyjacker with SOA. 33 or maybe 35. Is there any major reason to extend? Is it a good or bad idea with SOA? Just need to know what to add to my collection.

Eternal-forever

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

It's a good idea. You need to buy new shocks anyway, get the Ford towers at the same time. See the Tech section for info.

3. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    Even with SUA, the extended towers will get used. &nbsp:DO NOT get the shocks recommended in the suspension kit tho, since with the longer towers they will be too short.

I ran extended towers, 2.5" Softride springs, a 1.5" shackle reversal, and 14" stroke shocks with no problems. &nbsp:Didn't use all the travel, but no limitations either.

WAIT a minute....2.5" lift springs with SOA and only 33-35" tires? Better plan on at least 38" tires or it will look VERY odd!!