1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock length

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 73lndcrsr, Mar 19, 2003.

1. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

I hav added a 4" lift with longer shackles. I have measured the extension and compression of the new kit and have 17.5" compression and 22.5" droop in the front. (center to center on the shock mounts) I have similar numbers in the rear.

My question is:
    Do these numbers sound about right?
    When I order shocks I just need to stay under the length compression and over the length for droop. Right?

Doeschtech shock example:
    Extension Compression
    29.50 17.00

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    12.5" stroke sounds right to me....IMO, I run the 14" stroke and modify mounts to work...(longer towers in front, Ford ones, see the Cruiser Facts section...)

3. theo

theo

Thanks, 73, for asking this question.

Woody, it finally clicked why you modify your front towers. You have to raise the upper shock mount (w/Ford towers) because the longer stroke shock has a longer body? Otherwise you would bottom the shock out on compression? The payoff for the extra work is more droop?

Dumb questions, I know, but I've been wondering about it since I will also probably do a 4" spring lift.

Sorry for being slow on the uptake. I always thought you got more droop from more beer. And that more droop wasn't always a good thing. Silly me. :D

4. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    exactly grassahoppa....your up travel is still bump stop limited, but droop has higher potential....

NOW, spend some time studying why a 45 degree shackle angle is more or less optimal and why greater droop and a smoother ride result....lol