Builds Shipwreck (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it's remarkable how much time a house will steal from your projects... when we bought the house, the one 'issue' was the deck was about to collapse, I can proudly say that I got another 8 years of use before it almost collapsed :)
before

now

At the Offroad expo I bought 3 25' extensions for my winch line - that means I carry about 200' of line. Probably the next time I use it, I'll need 210' but that's really the way it goes.

hmmm, running a bit lean - I need to get a pressure gauge, I think the fix is going to be simply increase the fuel pressure.... but we'll see, I could get another chip burned that fits better what I'm doing.

I didn't have decent cables, I do now

with the no start issue came finding a boot was a bit burned

as I said before, it was the module, number 3, my friend says that's actually too common now with parts - I hope not - but I will go back to NAPA and see if I can't get them to give me another one (the last one lasted maybe a month).... which is funny since the Chinese one lasted for a year...

time to finalize the place for the fuel and water

And I may add another fuel tank, but my thought is now under the current tank - combine to single exhaust.... we'll see, I could also put it under the driver's side

I fixed the ignition problem with all new parts

hope it works

I went with simple in mounting the rearmost frame

but I certainly will make up for that with this

the to-do list:
deskin the 71 doors,
deskin the 76 doors
weld the new bottoms on the 76 doors
cut down the inner 71 door to match the outer
weld flanges on the top of both doors
weld the inners to the outers

I'm mostly certain I'm going to simply buy some 71-fitting doors for winter... these are summer doors... except I have another dastardly plan that requires some custom glass, an extended frame and would be removeable... so we'll see

Doors... I've been postponing these because they're a boatload of work, but I'm out of excuses and I had a free Sunday

first game is find the spotwelds

drill then split

or cheat

weld-through prime the patch panels

test fit

part 2

not sure why Toyota didn't put large holes in the bottoms of the doors - and these are later doors, so they should have known better

so this much of the skin is being used

edge clean

onto the older doors, need the inner panels

my goodness there were a lot of spot welds

pry

and done

some assembly

it was a wash - either make a die to stamp the detail or do some stuff that Dr. Frankenstein would be proud of

test fit 1

test fit 2 with inner panel

I'm going to make pockets where the mechanicals were

I got a solid start putting the other together.... should have both roughed out tomorrow night

I have several computers but that's a lot of work to change it... more likely then not I'm not going to change it unless I swap to an LS motor.... at this point, I'm not convinced that there is anything wrong - on top of this, I still haven't tested the fuel pressure nor have I replaced the pump... so that's kind of the next step
anyway
Door 2

goes a whole lot faster

and who knows where 1 pin is....

so I still don't know what I'm going to do to cap this... I'm really tempted to leave the center open or perhaps a channel to slide some plexiglas into...

inside

this was fun
RTI is 1008

1st run

2nd run (avoiding the ramp with the rear tire)

I could have pushed it a bit further..... but 1008 is pretty decent for a vehicle that you can drive on the freeway

what was really cool was the look on the guy's face when I told him I built the suspension and the '40

and yes, to those who think this, I'm bragging.

This looks super unstable... You should have added more wb and lengthened your links. :flipoff2:

We need a sarcasm font pretty badly

sarcasm is purple

I'm not sure that would help. I took what he said as sarcasm, but since he was part of the Pirate clan (and what he said was imported from the stuff that happened on Pirate) - I honestly don't know. Thus, clarity wouldn't necessarily make it better (because he may not have been sarcastic). At this point, I took it as sarcasm and it's all good... who knows, you may have to look for this thread over on the Firepit since talking and wrenching happen here and Mace warned me that too much fun and not enough building would land me there.... or worse, Bangshift.com

To save you the hassle - according to Pirate:
- I am gay (no, to their great disappointment)
- My build is the stupidest ever (I'm quite proud of this because that takes some doing)
- That I don't (this is a paraphrase) understand 4x4s despite having gone 200 mph at Bonneville and designing countless suspensions. My only thought here is they think gravity and traction don't apply to areas where there is dirt. What's funny is I think the person was trying to be complimentary without incurring the wrath of the trolls....
- That my rig would backflip because the wheelbase was too short (what's ironic is no one would say what an "acceptable" wheelbase was. This also was the first indication that they have learning disabilities because the last line of the first post said I was stretching the wheelbase.
- That I couldn't go 60 mph safely* mind you, there is maybe 12 pictures of this build there, and outside of a complete frame/suspension shot.... nothing else.
- That it would never run
- That my rear driveshaft couldn't be made. This was later changed to an impossible angle
- That "it" would never work
- That I'm just gloating... it's what happens when you beat the kids from the trash-talking short bus. (guilty as charged)

Not sure what "it" was. The last post, I posted some wheeling pictures from when I went out with Steve - their response was that because my rig doesn't perform as a buggy; that there is something wrong with it. The biggest troll, softwilly, admitted that the last vehicle he built was in 1990... biggest mouth, though.
There is something like 350 comments, 40,000 views of nothing but soap opera... Just like Hot Rod used to be about cars and making them fast; Pirate used to be about 4x4s and making them cool. Now it's just cannibalism, fashion and me too... then they got hacked and I never fixed my log in.

Not sure about you folks, but honestly, the comment was sarcasm and I'll get back to building and wheeling.... anyone with me on this?

Last edited:
I quit Pirate long ago. All trash talk and no content. I grew out of that mode when I became an adult.

Looking at my calendar, Oct 8 or 29 are my only wheeling days before Naches closes. Get those doors and top done!

So I talked to the person doing my top - 2 weeks was a bit optimistic for the top, it looks like 4 maybe even 5 before it shows on my doorstep. Of course, I'm kind of a cad, the shop is in NC and fortunately not in the path of Matthew.... yeah, I asked, I'm ashamed. That means Oct. 29 or take the H3. I'm not against a quick trip on the 8th....

The 29th is a better date probably. Wife's can needs to get a recall item fixed and my pickup an emissions test. It has to be this Saturday or take a vacation day next week. I am liking the idea of the latter since I am so burned out at work. Let us ponder.

I'm not sure that would help. I took what he said as sarcasm, but since he was part of the Pirate clan (and what he said was imported from the stuff that happened on Pirate) - I honestly don't know. Thus, clarity wouldn't necessarily make it better (because he may not have been sarcastic). At this point, I took it as sarcasm and it's all good... who knows, you may have to look for this thread over on the Firepit since talking and wrenching happen here and Mace warned me that too much fun and not enough building would land me there.... or worse, Bangshift.com

To save you the hassle - according to Pirate:
- I am gay (no, to their great disappointment)
- My build is the stupidest ever (I'm quite proud of this because that takes some doing)
- That I don't (this is a paraphrase) understand 4x4s despite having gone 200 mph at Bonneville and designing countless suspensions. My only thought here is they think gravity and traction don't apply to areas where there is dirt. What's funny is I think the person was trying to be complimentary without incurring the wrath of the trolls....
- That my rig would backflip because the wheelbase was too short (what's ironic is no one would say what an "acceptable" wheelbase was. This also was the first indication that they have learning disabilities because the last line of the first post said I was stretching the wheelbase.
- That I couldn't go 60 mph safely* mind you, there is maybe 12 pictures of this build there, and outside of a complete frame/suspension shot.... nothing else.
- That it would never run
- That my rear driveshaft couldn't be made. This was later changed to an impossible angle
- That "it" would never work
- That I'm just gloating... it's what happens when you beat the kids from the trash-talking short bus. (guilty as charged)

Not sure what "it" was. The last post, I posted some wheeling pictures from when I went out with Steve - their response was that because my rig doesn't perform as a buggy; that there is something wrong with it. The biggest troll, softwilly, admitted that the last vehicle he built was in 1990... biggest mouth, though.
There is something like 350 comments, 40,000 views of nothing but soap opera... Just like Hot Rod used to be about cars and making them fast; Pirate used to be about 4x4s and making them cool. Now it's just cannibalism, fashion and me too... then they got hacked and I never fixed my log in.

Not sure about you folks, but honestly, the comment was sarcasm and I'll get back to building and wheeling.... anyone with me on this?

This emoji -> :flipoff2: usually means that it is a joke or sarcastic. I didn't mean to start a flame fest about Pirate. Pirate definitely has it's place and the Land Cruiser forum (for the most part) are great guys that I have had the pleasure of meeting once or twice. I forgot just how much worse it is on other parts of Pirate now that I have a 4Runner!

Now to get off that topic, when are you going to bring it down to TSF? I would love to host a weekend a wheeling for all of you guys.

The 29th is a better date probably. Wife's can needs to get a recall item fixed and my pickup an emissions test. It has to be this Saturday or take a vacation day next week. I am liking the idea of the latter since I am so burned out at work. Let us ponder.

It's nice having 4x4 options (unless, of course, that option means I'm driving the Jetta next week because I broke the Hummer)....

This emoji -> :flipoff2: usually means that it is a joke or sarcastic.

Now to get off that topic, when are you going to bring it down to TSF? I would love to host a weekend a wheeling for all of you guys.

yep, that was the clue

you never know, several of us may be headed down to Tillamook burn/Sand Lake in early November. Still not sure what I'll drive, but it could easily be the '40 (my preference, actually) as I can tow a trailer with my quad on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• ferg
Back
Top Bottom