Builds Shipwreck (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some days....

So I drove it today to be sure I'd fixed all of the issues. That would be a big negatory. Now it pops the CEL on, puts the computer into limp-home mode (open loop), and throws a 44 code. A 44 code is the computer is getting a low voltage reading from the O2 sensor. That could be a bad O2 sensor - which is kind of unlikely because it seemed to be working fine before the whole wiring issue (and I realize that I may have fixed this too). Or the MAS is bad. Or a vacuum leak. Or the fuel pump is going bad. Or phruck if I know...

I'm thinking I'm going to take it to my mechanic friend tomorrow.... he needs to align it anyway... it will be one of those "while you're at it" things ;)

but it has really cool radios in it :thumbs:

Maybe there's a remedial course for delinquent O2 sensors at the "Innovative Learning" school that's in my Office park? If you guessed that Innovative means pre-prison Learning... you'd be right.

I didn't realize how easy it was to test an O2 sensor. Hmmm, easy in concept - you blow the oxygen away from the sensor with a propane torch (without overheating the tip) all while touching your digital reader probes to the correct pins....

Which brings up a religious question - if God knew that we would have cars, why didn't he give us 4 hands? were it me, I'd make at least one of those hands bluetooth enabled so that it could hold from a distance.

and some wonder why I get in trouble in church - they say I'm full of good ideas.....

Hmmm, easy in concept - you blow the oxygen away from the sensor with a propane torch (without overheating the tip) all while touching your digital reader probes to the correct pins....

Which brings up a religious question - if God knew that we would have cars, why didn't he give us 4 hands? were it me, I'd make at least one of those hands bluetooth enabled so that it could hold from a distance.

and some wonder why I get in trouble in church - they say I'm full of good ideas.....

Because we have tools lIke a vice to hold the O2 sensor, and alligator clips to clip between the voltage meter and sensor wires... leaving you with 1 hand to hold a torch and the other to.....?

4 hands... Ha. Quit monkeying around and get it done...

Maybe there's a remedial course for delinquent O2 sensors at the "Innovative Learning" school that's in my Office park? If you guessed that Innovative means pre-prison Learning... you'd be right.

I didn't realize how easy it was to test an O2 sensor. Hmmm, easy in concept - you blow the oxygen away from the sensor with a propane torch (without overheating the tip) all while touching your digital reader probes to the correct pins....

Hence the reason I have 25 tape measures. I don't have to know where that tool is in my "organized" shop, I just have to know where I can buy another one!

My dad and I go round and round about the 'free' tools from harbor freight or the cheap ones.... he just can't get it through his head that all that time he spends on cheap is never coming back when he has to replace it.

woohoo parts to install

I don't like hooks because they can pop off and kill you.

but I hated the idea of destroying a hook to get it off (why, smittybilt, why?)

as you can see, I got over it

factor 55 builds an end that allows you to use shackles - thus you have a closed-loop-winching situation and it's much, much safer. Also, it allows you to run a license plate (stay tuned for how)

next a stabilizer. I knew I was going to put a stabilizer on it, but I didn't want to band-aid a problem so I drove for awhile without... that said, it does a neat death wobble when you hit a pothole or railroad tracks with one-tire-first.... so I'm fixing that

so I went through these ideas first

before I raided my parts box to create my own - funny, buying 2 stabilizers in a kit is cheaper then buying two stabilizers.

the parts

for those who think I can't weld, look away

a teaser while the paint dries

I'm also probably going to relocate my cross-steering arm up onto a high-steer arm then relocated the frame mount of the panhard down so that the bar is parallel with the ground... then it'll handle like a sports car....:)

Reminder - I was waiting for paint to dry

strangely it turned black after install

also, should I decide I need a dual stabilizer system, this is how it will look

finished, for now

I hate lubing these, but I hate buying new ones even more

hooks installed

monkey reinstalled, I like how they notched the antenna to keep it from coming apart... chinese quality - who knew?

airbox

I also finalized the mount for the HAM radio....

So I went to move it, it wouldn't start
1) no spark
2) no fuel
3) no code
4) no tach signal

no tach signal is, in my opinion the give away - spark module. It was new (as was the entire distributor) but chinese....

got more bits

a bit of trimming is in order

and missing a couple bits

the middle cross brace and the baskets for the rear hoop... no big deal, I know a guy who can do stuff like that

Next for this, after fitting, is powder coat

I am seriously considering to a quick respray on it. That said, my wife doesn't know this but I will bring another 'cruiser into the fleet as her Heep replacement

... I'm still smiling about the deal Olympic gave me on that stuff.

and

I'm an idiot... battery was low. Why am I an idiot? because the dakota digital dash warns when the volts are below 9.8.... some days I'm lucky to simply survive it. Oh well, gotta feed the trolls occasionally and give them something to celebrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom