1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shifting into 2nd

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by marc, Feb 25, 2003.

1. marc

marc

hello, I just bought a 1986 FJ60. the truck ran well for the 12hr drive from salt lake to portland or. however when the truck is cold it is really difficult to shift into 2nd gear, usually it will grind gears a little and then go in.
    there is about two-three inches of no resistance when i press the clutch pedal.
    it is all stock (as of now) with a 4 speed manual tranny.
    any clues or suggestions.
    thanks
    marc :-/

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    check the fluid level on the hydraulic clutch, check the master at the firewall (inside and out) for leaks and check the slave for leaks. Possible you have air in the lines, and a bad seal somewheres.

Could also be a bad synchro to 2nd gear, but clutch fluid is much cheaper...lol

3. cruzer

cruzer

Change's the tranny fluid, Could be a warn syncro. try double clutching the tranny may help. My minitruck is hard to downshift into first gear when it's cold.

Stew

4. FJAfrica

FJAfrica

My feeling is that if it is the clutch, this problem would be especially evident in 1st gear, if it is only evident in 2nd, I would bet its the synchro. :-[

5. Erics75

Erics75

It sounds to me like a combination of all that was said. The 2nd gear synro would cause the grinding but the 2 inches of no resistance would more than likely be the hydraulics and changing the tranny fluid to maybe even a synthetic may help the cold shifting.