Shift Linkage Rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While most of the linkages have replacement ball-joint ends, this piece does not. It is only available in used form.

Has anyone successfully attempted a rebuild of the column shift linkage? The ball itself looks good, as well as the inside of the joint but assembled is sloppy as crap. Does anyone know what was used for packing?

I enjoy my column shift and would like to keep it going. I am prepared to fab an entirely new linkage but thought I would ask the cohort first.

Thanks - Mike
2015-11-28 15.46.04.jpg

While most of the linkages have replacement ball-joint ends, this piece does not. It is only available in used form.

Has anyone successfully attempted a rebuild of the column shift linkage? The ball itself looks good, as well as the inside of the joint but assembled is sloppy as crap. Does anyone know what was used for packing?

I enjoy my column shift and would like to keep it going. I am prepared to fab an entirely new linkage but thought I would ask the cohort first.

Thanks - Mike
View attachment 1168321

Do you have enough room when the ball is in the joint to fab a hard nylon bushing insert?
I know this is not what you were asking about but it looks like it might have had a bushing that went into the joint and the ball snaped in the bushing.

I was wondering the same thing, it is pretty tight but might have room for a nylon washer or something like it. I went to Ace and looked at all the nylon washers and pluming packing but nothing was small enough/right diameter/correct ID, etc...

I am wondering if a later model shift linkage (transmission or transfer case) might have used this same kind of joint in it and could be used to rebuild this older FJ55 part... Maybe CruiserDan would know?

I'd contact Georg at Valley Hybrids - his username here on MUD is "orangeFJ45"

I've never tried to rebuild the column shifters ....... but I see no reason why it couldn't be done. Would take some tinkering and custom parts.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Looks like it could be modified to accommodate heim ends.

did you try Mark A, I thought he did a rebuild on his a few years ago, maybe in the 45 section.

did you try Mark A, I thought he did a rebuild on his a few years ago, maybe in the 45 section.

Not yet, but just invited him to take a look at this thread. Thanks!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids recommended I speak with Pardion. I invited him to take a look at this thread to get his comments.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids recommended I speak with Pardion. I invited him to take a look at this thread to get his comments.
Thank's for asking, I have never had to replace those ball joints, I like the Teflon idea, also the heim joint rod end idea wouldwork. If all else fails, I might have a good used one that is better than the one you have. Good luck, John

After some more searching... Looks like @antFJ did a rebuild of the same shift linkage.

Shifter Linkage Boots

I sent him a PM to ask about specifics but it looks like it may not have anything in it other than moly grease. The shift boot may stabilize the joint. Purely a guess at this point but it would make sense. The boots come from a company in the UK but he did not list a P/N.

I put a couple of ball joints on order (DMCS-8) and a relay rod that I can bend (TR8-360). These should make a good replacement if I run out of options on the OEM linkage.

1280946774-64558.jpg
1280934644-53310.jpg

lotus boot part number A082F4149F for the boot

lotus car spares, parts and accessories, genuine lotus spares and parts, own brand lotus spares and parts

definitely added stiffness to the ball end with multipurpose grease in there. I used stock brake/clutch pedal bushings for the bolt that mounts the long curved arm (for the back and forth motion) and a thick washer (or one on the top and bottom?) to get the right stiffness I wanted with the bolt tightened down.

for the arm in the column I used an old spark plug boot and cut it to match the original (or what was left of it). This added a lot of stiffness to the system. To make the up and down stiff and firm, I used different thickness washers on the L shaped piece that bolts to the bell housing so that when the nut was bottomed out I had a decent stiffness.

see post #99 for the shifter boot AntFJ 1971 Build

I think an aftermarket setup could easily be fabricated.

Last edited:
So after a week or so of searching and asking around I decided that it was going to be faster/easier to build a new linkage.

I purchased some 8mm rod ends and threaded rod from Midwest Control www.midwestcontrol.com

(1) DMH-8-LH
(1) DMH-8
(1) TR8-360

I bent the threaded rod at the same spots as the factory linkage and took ~1/2" off the one end. All and all it turned out pretty good.

2015-12-13 14.51.26.jpg

So after a week or so of searching and asking around I decided that it was going to be faster/easier to build a new linkage.

I bent the threaded rod at the same spots as the factory linkage and took ~1/2" off the one end. All and all it turned out pretty good.

Yes it did AND you've added adjustability that the original didn't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom