Setting Ignition Timing with Vacuum Gauge...How? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So How is this properly done? The same way one does it with a Timing Light? (removing the two hoses that go to the distributor)What's a good source of Vacuum in a 2F Motor?

Thanks in advance (no pun intended!;))

a good source of vacuum is your intake manifold. brake booster is easy access. forget about that and use a timing light to set factory 7 btdc (the bb hole in flywheel) with vacuum PLUGGED to distributor.

a good source of vacuum is your intake manifold. brake booster is easy access. forget about that and use a timing light to set factory 7 btdc (the bb hole in flywheel) with vacuum PLUGGED to distributor.

Why does the FSM say to warm up the engine and then disconnect the vacuum hoses from distributor, and plug both ends? Set the timing at 7 degrees at 950 RPM by adjusting the distibutor.

Reference is from Toyota 2F Engine Emmision Control FSM # RM36043 page 4-2

Grant backs it up here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=164993&highlight=setting+timing

Last edited:
I've never had any luck setting the timing with a vacuum gauge.......Timing with a vacuum gauge will normally result in timing that is more advanced than what specifications call for.... Resulting in pinging under load or hard start " kick back" when cranking under hot conditions..... I basically just use the light and most seem to preform best @ 10/12* bftdc....

Timing w/ a light is best, in that it gives you a reference of just HOW far retarded/advanced you go.

Timing w/ a vac gauge would mean simply advancing slowly unlill ya reach the highest # obtainable, then backing down just a hair, like a few degrees of distributor rotation only.
Ultimately, they both rely on the drivability test to really decide where is best, they just arrive at the final setting differently and use less trial-and-error than just turn a little, and drive, then turn a little more and drive, etc.
My spare $0.02

How do ya know for sure how far advanced your are. I normally fun with the BB about halfway between the pointer and the bottom of the window. But how can I find out exactly what its at?

You will need a light with advance increment control....

Thanks, I'll look into getting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom