Serp Belt Help: Well There's your Problem Right There (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the middle of changing my serp belt and tensioner and just got to the part about removing the power steering pulley. I pull out my 17mm box wrench and there is no nut on the pulley??? I've tried to just pull the pulley off but it won't come off. Any suggestions on how to get it out? And am I'm guessing it's missing more parts than just a nut? Or more than likely I'm just missing how to take the thing off....
IMG_0033.JPG

Last edited:
It's probably attached to a bracket that's behind the pulley OR you need to stick an allen wrench into the end and spin the shaft out of the pulley or the bolt comes out with an allen wrench. It's hard to tell. Maybe put your phone down in front of the pulley and take a picture

Nope, those are the threads for a pulley puller. Maybe Autozone or one of the big parts houses will rent one to you

PS- I'm not trying to be funny.

Ahhhh I see, thank you! Curious though why mine is different than the write up in the FAQ section on changing your serp belt? In there is states you get a strap wrench to hold the pulley and then take your wrench to take off the bolt. Does my truck have an aftermarket PS pump maybe?

07 LC

No need to remove power steering pump.
If just replacing S-belt, just release tension with your wrench on nut (don't try and remove nut)
If bearing going bad in tensioner. Remove pulley and press it out, replace with new bearing from NAPA part store (use old to match) ~$10.
Why are you changing tensioner, is it out of range (notch's indicator)?

Edit- Good answer above this

Yeah I believe the bearing in the tensioner is going bad due to the chirping the truck is making. I don't have a press to do the bearings and got the tensior for 55 bucks so I figured why not.

I bought a new tensioner but just changed the pulley of it. The thread is the opposite to normal so it is clockwise to undo. When I do my timing belt I will probably change the tensioner then.

To be honest I wouldn't be pulling that pulley off, doesn't really look like it is designed to be taken off and put back on. How do you get it back on and get it to stay on even if it does come off.

Took your advice and just changed the pulley. All back together and no more chirping! Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom