Series 80 Dash switch bezel / any interest??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice. Looking forward to it.
Do you plan to ever make any more of the phone holders for the jdm cup holder that goes in the cubby?
I actually had them up on my website for over a month and only sold 5. Usually the first month of a new product I'm in the 40-50 units range and not 5. I figured the demand was just not there. I could make another batch and repost them if there was a desire for them. I thought they would be a big seller but it never paned out. My goal was to at least sell 10 to break even and that didn't happen. I will give them another try after the holidays. right now I'm neck deep in holiday orders and have 4 new products getting released over the next 7 days with this dash insert being one of them. Adding more to that could be suicide.

Can't wait. My inverter switch needs a home!
The good news is that prototype #3 is a perfect fit for the factory button. I printed it in the fine setting and it looks fantastic. Has a real smooth injected molded look to it. Now I just need to test fit it in the dash of a 95-97 to make sure there isn't any fitment issues there. Do we have any socal guys willing to step up? I will toss in a free bezel for your time. Preferably in the IE area. I'm in the Ontario, Fontana, Yucaipa, Redlands, Riverside areas regularly. I would need about 5 minutes of your time to test fit and take pics.

It looks like I might have a taker for giving me access to their 80 for test fitting. I will still keep my request open in case I find someone closer. I'm in the Forest Falls/Yucaipa/Mentone area. Anyone with an 80 (95-97) in this area and willing to allow me to test fit the bezel? I need about 5 minutes.

And finally prototype #3. It turned out great. I made a blank plug for the folks who will only need one accessory to start with. It's easily removed. I also made the CB Mic holder as another plug. Everything is snapping together perfectly. The finish right now is a bare plastic gloss black. I can probably do a sating black paint job on them for a extra couple bucks. I will get pricing figured out over the next couple days. I'm looking at about $25 for the bezel and maybe 5 for the blank plug and $7 for the CB mic holder. It's not a lot of filament used but a ton of work removing all the supports, then sanding, then doing an acetone bath. It's more labor intensive than I was expecting. Now I just need to make sure the entire bezel fits into the dash perfectly. I'm rather confident it will be I want to be 100% sure before I ship any of these.

Im Interested

Looking great. As soon as I get one I can complete my inverter install, so am waiting eagerly!!! If you are going to do the satin black paint to match the OEM black, I am in for that - I would love to pull this right out of the box and install it.

Good news. A local (THANKS DAVE) allowed me to use his 80 series for a few minutes and fitment was great. The only issue was that the holes for the screws was a tad too small. I could force the screw into the hole but I wanted it to slide in with ease. The final version 4.0 is on the printer now and I will run back in the morning to do final fitment. I should be able to start a batch of these by tomorrow evening and have them up for sale on Friday. Good timing for black Friday. Here is what I have. The gloss black isn't the best look so I will probably just make them all a satin finish to match better. version 4.0 pics will be with the satin finish. Sorry for the crappy pics. It was getting dark outside.

Best Black Friday purchase ever!

This is my first priority after my sons hunting trip next week. Looks great, thanks!

I'm in. When are these available?

I'm in. When are these available?
I hope to release them on Friday. I will update as we get closer to the end of next week.

WOW looks awesome!!!! can't wait... was hoping for the mic holder but wasn't sure if you would make it or not... useless dash cubby no more!!!!

WOW looks awesome!!!! can't wait... was hoping for the mic holder but wasn't sure if you would make it or not... useless dash cubby no more!!!!
I just have to test fit the mic holder. I want to make sure there aren't any interference issues with it before I release the insert. My neighbor has a cb in his garage I can use to test fit.

I'll be ordering one Brad - thanks. Will check back on Friday. Good call on the satin finish. It's strong enough for a mic to hang off of?

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

I'll be ordering one Brad - thanks. Will check back on Friday. Good call on the satin finish. It's strong enough for a mic to hang off of?

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
That's what I don't know. I need to test it all first. My mic holder is a tighter fit than the gamivit one. If a mic rips the insert out then there is no chance the gamiviti one would have held a mic. I can always widen the tabs to the point that there is no way the mic can rip it out. I just need to test fit first so I know if changes are needed. I should be able to do that today. My neighbor is off work this week.

And now for version 5.0. I made a couple structural changes (no change to fitment or the outside). I wasn't happy with how much flex there was in the middle of the bezel. The gamiviti one had the same flex and I wanted it a lot stronger. After some stress testing in autodesk I was able to put supports, thicker walls, a filets in key places to give the needed strength for long term abuse. I also went with the satin finish and got it all installed today. Everything fit and function as I had desired. I now have 4 machines running full time to make a large batch of these. It will take a couple days to get the batch done and then Thursday will be put aside for family. I will get them all prepped on Friday and on my website by late Friday afternoon. Here's the final version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom