Semi scratch built off road trailer project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 Jeep TJ. I have been wheeling for years. The problem lies when I want to camp on the trail overnight. I had a nice roof rack to carry my stuff (ice chest, water, stove, etc.), but I did NOT like the feel of the Jeep when I went on side hills. Next was to build some off road racks for the rear bumper. These turned out nice, but did add a lot of extra weight to the rear when loaded up. Also it was kind of a pain to load/unload all the little things you need to bring (read lazy). When we went on an overnight trip with several rigs a few months ago, one of them had a M416 trailer. They were able to carry all the things they needed and just leave it in the trailer when they returned home. That is when I started looking for a used M416. At this same time is when I found this and other websites that have a vast amount of information and great ideas for how a trailer can be equipped. After searching for a used trailer with no luck for a nice, but not to expensive trailer I decided to build my own.

Here are my plans/wish list:

2X4 tube frame with a 2.5 X 2.5 back bone running from front to rear
Brand new M416 like tub
Max coupler
35R12.5 15 tires on rock crawler wheels
3500# axle with electric and (hopefully) parking brake
Belly water tank
Belly gel batteries
Nose box
Inverter
Water pump
Hot water heater
12 X 24 shade structure
Shelf with sink
Propane tank(s)

I have the frame material and tub on order. The frame metal should be in on Monday for me to get started. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of fabrication experience or tools. I own a 120 volt mig welder, chop saw and 4 1/2” grinder. Hopefully I can improve on my limited welding skills and not have to purchase to many more tools. Really looking forward to getting started on this project.

Don

Jeep 002-1.jpg
Jeep 002-1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome!

where are you getting the frame and tub from?

Thanks for the welcome. I am going to build the frame and hopefully everything else myself. I would have liked to build the tub, but I don't have the tools or the skills to do it. The place that's building the tub won't even start on it until after the holidays. I'll hold off on contact information until I pick it up. Then I will be happy to pass along that info.

Don

welcome dude and that's a very nice looking rig. Do you have any dimensions for the tub and chassis that will be used by the shop? Your plans are pretty good and I'm sure they'll change as this project moves along. Do you know the wall thickness of the 2x4 tubing you're planning on using?

I'd suggest that you use a Treg hitch instead of what's found domestically. I question the need for large, aggressive tires for the trailer. I think this will simply take power away from the TJ since you'll have the trailer loaded to the gills for a typical camping trip. I'd suggest skinny, AT style tires.

Let me know what make/model axle you end up with. The parking break is an excellent idea.

The 2 X4 tubing for the frame is .120 thick. I agree with you that the tires are a little overkill. The reason I chose them is I have 37R12.5 on my Jeep and only want to carry one spare, currently a 35R12.5 with 4.5" back spacing. I will be taking the trailer on some pretty tough trails, Rubicon, Dusy, Fordyce, etc. I do have a plan in my head how I want the build to go. I do realize it is only a plan and will change as I move along. Looking forward to ideas and comments once I get started.

Don

welcome aboard :flipoff2:

keep us posted on the trailer build.

:cheers:

Sounds like a good plan you've got. Good luck and welcome.

Don't worry too much about your available tools. I built my homebuilt trailer from scratch using basically the same set of tools. You can see my trailer build linked in my sig line.

Well, I was finally able to get started on the project. I have most of the frame cuts made and am in the process of cutting out the square center holes in the cross braces for the receiver tube to run through. Things are taking a lot more time than anticipated. But I sure am having fun with it.
caribbean cruise 2010 018=2.jpg
Jeep Trailer 001-2.jpg

Welcome and nice rig!

Keep updating the progress...these builds are an absolute blast!

Pat

You have all the tools you'll need. I made mine with the same stuff, small MIG, Grinder, and chopsaw... did I mention it takes a long time? :D

Here is some motivation for you... a year later a pile of steel rolled out of my garage looking like this! :jump:
DSC04341.jpg
DSC04337.jpg

I'm making progress on the frame. Hopefully I’ll have all the welding finished tomorrow. I have some pictures of the tub I purchased. I got it from Chris at sierra4x4trailers.com He’s a great guy and easy to deal with. He’s located in northern Nevada and was kind enough to deliver the tub to me.
Offroad Trailer 021-1.jpg
Offroad Trailer 022-1.jpg
Offroad Trailer 026-1.jpg

What did he charge you for the tub?

keep it up....:cool:

Neat! I was just thinking the other week about bending up an M416 tub for a trailer. Do you know what gage metal he used? Also curious on the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom