Seat Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read a in a couple threads about people switching their leather seats for cloth seats and vice versa, but are all models interchangeable with each other?

I have found two potential issues:

I guess in the earlier models (91-93) the seat belt buckle was not integrated into the seat? I need clarification on this as I have a 97.

Also, are cloth seats from say a 94 a direct fit for electric lexus seats?

I really want to get away from the electric seats as many here have stated, but also they just ain't holdin' up the way I want them to.

The seats from 91-97 are a direct bolt on process. No mods at all. The only difference between the years are 3 things: cloth/leather, manual/electric, and height difference. I have a 91 that had cloth seats and it was manual. My friend has a 97 that was leather and electric.
We both swapped all our seats. Reason: I'm 5'8" and the manuel/cloth seat sits lower than the electric/leather seat. My friend is 6'4" and his head was touching the top of the roof when sitting beacuse the leather/electric seat sits higher than mines. It worked out good for the both of us and were both happy. So your answer is yes.

I can't remember if mine are from a '93 or '94, but yes, that's what I put in my Lexus.

I have read a in a couple threads about people switching their leather seats for cloth seats and vice versa, but are all models interchangeable with each other?

I guess in the earlier models (91-93) the seat belt buckle was not integrated into the seat? I need clarification on this as I have a 97.

I really want to get away from the electric seats as many here have stated, but also they just ain't holdin' up the way I want them to.

I have a nice set of recovered manual leather seats out of a rolled 94 if you are interested. They are black (dark gray) and I'm not too far away. Just thought I'd throw it out there...

The seats from 91-97 are a direct bolt on process. No mods at all. The only difference between the years are 3 things: cloth/leather, manual/electric, and height difference. I have a 91 that had cloth seats and it was manual. My friend has a 97 that was leather and electric.
We both swapped all our seats. Reason: I'm 5'8" and the manuel/cloth seat sits lower than the electric/leather seat. My friend is 6'4" and his head was touching the top of the roof when sitting beacuse the leather/electric seat sits higher than mines. It worked out good for the both of us and were both happy. So your answer is yes.

So how did you deal with the power seat situation? I didn't think cloth seat 80s would have a plug ready for power seats. Am I assuming wrong here?

I have a 1997 too

I just purchased Tuff Duck tan, heavy duty canvas covers from Specter. I got front, rear & 3rd row for $ 463.00. They are sweet.

Mike Ryan

So how did you deal with the power seat situation? I didn't think cloth seat 80s would have a plug ready for power seats. Am I assuming wrong here?

Cloth 80 seats are manual, so you don't have to plug in the power for the power seats. Plug just sits there idlely under the carpet.

Cloth 80 seats are manual, so you don't have to plug in the power for the power seats. Plug just sits there idlely under the carpet.

Right I understand that but what about BUSMUP that received the leather power seats in the originally manual cloth model?

Alright, so just to be completely redundant but thorough, it's a direct easy-for-an-idiot swap....

I just read a thread somewhere that mentioned a dude having to get different seat belts because of a difference in an integrated buckle on the seats in later models and what I assumed was floor mounted in earlier models.

I apologize for being retarded, but I saw a pair of seats in the classifieds section I may buy.

Thanks for the input.

I'm the friend... I've got busmup's cloths seats in my '97, he's got my leather seats.

The only thing we had to do was change the middle row seat belts out, the ones in my '97 didn't fit into the cloth seats in that row. The cloth seats I received still had the belts built in, they were just a different buckle size.

All other seat belts were good.

Hope that helps!

Got it...thats exactly was I was looking for....Thanks

Just to throw a kink in, I have a 91 and my belts are not integrated into the seat, they are floor mounted. My seats are cloth and manual. Not sure if that helps or hurts, just throwing it out there.

Tucker

ah crap

i think the electric seats are far comfortable than the other ones...and i think the cloth seats would be ok fit...not direct fit for an electric lexus...it has way too wide and comfortable seats.

i think the electric seats are far comfortable than the other ones...and i think the cloth seats would be ok fit...not direct fit for an electric lexus...it has way too wide and comfortable seats.

As far as bolting in, they are a direct fit. As far as comfort, they are better than the Lexus seats, at least in my oppinion as someone who's had both in his truck.

I'm not sure, but 2-3 inches in the height difference.

As far as the seatbelts go: 91-92 has the wider seatbelts. 93-97 have the narrow seatbelts. I'm talking about the male end of the seatbelt. The reason we had to swap the 2nd row is because i didn't swap the 94 seatbelts into my 91. I only swapped the female seatbelt on the seats. Kinda sucks because i later learned that it was easier to just swap the seats and belts than to swap the everything else. Lesson learned.

Also for the plug and play: 91-92 dont have that plug so you would have to inquire that from the donor truck. 93-97 already have that plug. It's not that hard for the 91-92 LC"s to wire up the seats. 3 wires is all it takes. Blue/Black= POWER, White/Black=GROUND, Green=SEATBELT BUZZER.

I'm looking to ditch my electric for a manual set as well, I'm combing all over looking for a bracket swap if at all possible I guess thats wishful thinking.

Lexus seats into FJ80

We swapped a set of leather LX seats into an FJ80 and did find some differences in buckle-mating and belt positions. It was 'do-able' but we had to ALSO grab some of the seat belt-and-tensioner assemblies out of the Wrexus (wrecked Lexus). it was weird, IIRC, since it seemed like they should have mated, but the buckle metal widths were different.... All i remember was that it was more involved than it seemed like it should have been.

TT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom