1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sealing OSB?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by SteveO, Dec 19, 2006.

1. SteveO

SteveO

I put down a new OSB, tongue and groove floor and would like to seal it before putting down the carpet. The old floor bubbled up in couple places after drinks were spilled and soaked in to the old wood, causing it to swell. I know you can't really paint OSB (can you?) but I would like to protect it from moisture if possible. Any suggestions?

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Paint it. Never heard of a problem with that. Prime it with an alcohol-based primer such as original 'Kills' (not the newer latex stuff) if you're worried about the moisture in the paint causing problems. I don't know if you could just leave it primed, perhaps.

-Spike

3. Deep South Cruisers

Deep South Cruisers

I have painted it on ceilings before, it soaks up ALOT of paint.

4. SteveO

SteveO

I have painted it before but found it tends to bubble and flake a bit when I do it. Maybe I'll try a lighter coat to start with. Thanks.

5. FJ60Cam

FJ60Cam SILVER Star

Paint it with Oil Kilz (the primer). Since it is oil-based intead of water-based it won't make it bubble or swell like a water based product. Wear a respirator if coating a large surface indoors- it will kick your ass!

6. e rock

e rock

Put down hardwood instead :D

My buddy left the OSB sub-floor material as the finished floor in the apartment above his shop. He just used a floor sander to knock down the splinter-maker pieces, then applied a couple generous coats of clear lacquer. It actually looks really nice. The lacquer brings out some depth - even on the little wood chips - and obviously leaves a nice smooth surface. Probably not ideal for your application, but anything oil-based should be fine to apply to the wood without having to worry about damage. As others said, I've heard good things about Killz, but never had the opportunity/need to use it myself.

7. firetruck41

firetruck41

I think the newer stuff is supposed to resist swelling, etc. better than old OSB. I haven't really noticed that anyone seals it before putting a finished floor down.

8. SteveO

SteveO

I just know that in a new basement with little kids that stuff will get spilled and I don't want the same swelling issues we had at our old house. I figure if I can spend $100 on paint and a couple hours rolling it on it will be worth it. ....Steve

9. firetruck41

firetruck41

I suppose it can't hurt!

10. White Shark

White Shark

Kilz is great stuff. That would certainly do the job. What type of flooring is going down on it? Let us know and we'll give you some more info. I'm currently putting down 3/4" Maple plank on a stairway, and most of a second floor on one of our jobs. It's been a long week since I tend to be a perfectionist.... ;)

11. SteveO

SteveO

We're putting laminate in my wife's studio and carpet out in the TV/pool table area. Thanks. ....Steve

12. Degnol

Degnol

We used AdvanTek subfloor and it had a coating of wax, I think, on it. Water would bead on it when it rained. The guarantee/warranty was voided if we put anything on it at all. It was more like a high density particle board than traditional OSB.
    I would contact the manufacturer before using anything.
    JMO

Ed