Sealer before primer or no? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hugh Heifer

Less than 90 days!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
I am in the process of doing body work on my 40 and a buddy told me I would not need a sealer before primer.

What factors weigh on whether on is needed or not?

He has painted a few cars, I have not. So help a brother out. :popcorn:

Hugh,

I'm on this learning curve, too, and you'll need to provide the experts here with add'l info. Like are you painting raw metal? Are you going to leave the primer on and drive it like that before painting, or right into the paint booth? What kind of primer are you using?

Whenever I ask my local paint guys questions, I end up getting more questions so thought I'd save you the time and ask the same ones they asked me when I asked your questions. Clear? Heh...

DougM

Most people have gotten away from using a "sealer". The preferred coating now is to use an epoxy primer as the sealer.
It gives a good bond to bare metal and to other undercoats that may be on the surface.
Heck....some of the epoxies even allow filler to be applied over them......I never felt good about doing that though.
One PIA thing about most epoxies is they can be a b1tch to sand if needed. They gum up the paper and such. Some sand better than others.
I have also used epoxies as a sealer just before the paint base coat is sprayed to give an even color surface to cover.

Hope some of that helps
:beer::beer:

Read my painting post Bro. You must seal the surface prior to any high build primer and after you are satisfied with the flatness, you cover it with a sealer again before placing color on the rig.
I have read the whole thing a couple times. But, as I mentioned, another guy I know who is building old Fords doesn't seal his stuff. More than one way to skin a cat I guess.

My 40 had the body powder coated by the PO. I have scuffed that, filled a zillion holes with weld and am working filler on it now. There is still a considerable amount of powder coat on the body. I am using Evercoat Lite Non-Clogging Lightweight filler and Mar-Hyde Ultimate 2K High Speed Urethane Primer Surfacer.
I have blasted all the large bits (not the body) and hit those with self etching primer. The plan is to finish up with single stage Acrylic Urethane in a nice BRG:bounce:.

I will not be driving it before paint. Primer then paint before mounting the body. I also know that this combo of primer and filler allows combinations of filler, then primer, then filler then primer, repeat as necessary since I have seen that done with this in the past with great results.

Seems many folks get away without sealer.

remember, sealer can also be tinted to your final color. This will aid greatly in coverage, resulting in less coats required.

remember, sealer can also be tinted to your final color. This will aid greatly in coverage, resulting in less coats required.
Thanks. Just got off the phone with a buddy with 20 years in the biz. He says the primer I have does not need a sealer. It is marketed as a "primer sealer" as many are these days. I discussed my plan and he said it was way strong. Hitting the truck with the primer when I first think it is flat and then going back at the body work. When I told him I wanted acrylic enamel rather then base coat clear coat he said, "That is easy as pie. How about I come up for a week in August and do it for you?"

Can beat that! Truck had been taking so long, another month or so is nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom