SCS Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
Alright guys, like many of you with an 80 series I've just been running the factory wheels for a long time with no issues. The OEM wheels actually look pretty good on the 80, compared to many factory wheel options so it means changing to aftermarket wheels is generally not high on the priority list for many 80 owners.

Here's my rattle canned OEM wheels

However, I've been looking at some different options for quite a while now and I kept coming back to SCS (Stealth Custom Series) wheels. They are Toyota specific wheels that have been targeted to the Tacoma/4Runner/FJCruiser owners primarily up to this point. But these should work well for most Toyotas. I've always been impressed with their wheel designs and I've followed many people who have been running their wheels in pretty hard conditions so I'm convinced they'll hold up to pretty rough use.

They have three models available. First is the F5. I've seen this one probably the most on different Toyotas. Currently this is the only "direct fit" option for the 80 Series. The other models have a tapered lip for the center cap that doesn't fit over the hubs on the 80 Series. 16" or 17" options with 3.5" BS or 4" BS.
9660612548_609a3caa95_k_zps8064c87a.jpg

F5-Product-1024x407.jpg

I chose not to go with these on my 80, even though they were the only direct fit option, because as a 5 spoke wheel they are just too similar to the OEM wheels. If I was changing wheels I wanted something different.

I was fortunate enough to have SCS willing to "sponsor" me with a set of wheels so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. If mods feel like this needs to be removed, that's fine. I'm not trying to make this into an advertisement but wanted to let people know they were out there. I'll still give honest feedback once I get them and put them to use.

I chose to go with the SR8 model just because I thought it was the best looking of the bunch. They're going to require a small amount of machine work to remove the lip for the center cap so they'll fit over the hubs on the 80. Should be no big deal. In talking with the owner, if there is more demand for these (as well as their Stealth6 model) for 80s then they'll possibly start machining the lip during production so there is an 80 series direct fit option. I think the issue is more that not a lot of people are aware of these. I like to support companies that are committed to Toyotas and offroaders and SCS is one of those companies so I don't mind doing a little work to these wheels so I can run them. I appreciate that they were willing to let me be a "guinea pig" with a set of wheels and hooked me up. My SR8's are expected to be delivered tomorrow so I'm anxious to get them mounted up. I'm shooting to have them machined and mounted in time for CruiserFest on Sept 11-12.
SCS_Fatlace-13.jpg

I went with the matte black like the ones pictured above. But they also have matte gunmetal and matte bronze.
SR8_3Up_2015-1024x379.jpg

The other model they have is the Stealth6. Not a bad looking wheel either.
DSC_0022.jpg

s6_productgallery_4up-979x540-jpg.242654

I'm posting this thread just let people know this option is out there from a Toyota focused company. Also, as an 80 owner I guess I'm hoping that driving a bit of interest might make it so there is another 80 series option from them in the future.

I know there are some people out there that have been using these. Anyone have feedback or impressions on them? Any quality issues etc to be aware of? From what I've found they look great but I'd love to hear some firsthand feedback.

Last edited:
Well, interesting. Have you read the vendors thread on these wheels? I just deleted a big thing I wrote.
Basically, if they had a better BS in a 17" I'd have 5 of the F5's already.

Well, interesting. Have you read the vendors thread on these wheels? I just deleted a big thing I wrote.
Basically, if they had a better BS in a 17" I'd have 5 of the F5's already.
I have not read the vendors thread. Link?
When you say "better" backspacing for the F5's what are you after? More or less BS? Care to share anything else, like what you deleted? I'd take it in a PM if you're willing to share.

I really like these wheels. Price is good, style is excellent, weight per wheel is good. The most popular BS required for older
40,55,60, 70 series is 3.5". Most of us would like to run a wider than stock width wheel.
Personally, I'd like a 17 x 9 with 3.5" BS for my 60.
Here is the thread.
SCS F-5 wheels 16x8

Any influence that you can have, ;), will of course be greatly appreciated!

I would be down with F5's in 17x9 with a 3.5" back space. There current offering in 17" F5 eliminates it as an option.

Got my SCS Wheels SR8's mounted up on the 80 this morning. I really like them and the quality of the wheels is great! These have a small lip for the center cap that needs to be machined off o fit over the wheel hub on the 80. It was a pretty simple tweak for a great wheel.

Snapped some better photos of the SCS wheels so here's a few for anyone looking for aftermarket wheels for their Cruiser. I really like the SCS stuff. These are 16x8 with 4" BS which is perfect IMO on the 80. It's puts the outer edge of the tire out flush with the fender flares for a really nice look. I still need to really stuff them but initial flexing of the suspension doesn't rub the flares.

Alright guys I'm trying to gather some information to take back to SCS from the Cruiser community specifically. Up to this point they've struggled to get much of a consensus on a preferred wheel size/offset for the cruiser crowd. I thought I'd start a poll but I didn't want to guess at what size/offsets you guys might like. Several have mentioned to me that a 17x8 3.5"bs is what they want. I can see that being a popular one with the 40 and 60 crowd perhaps. So here's what I'm asking, if you please respond by filling in the following criteria it will help SCS start to get a better idea what they can do for the Cruiserheads out there.

Wheel Type: (i.e. F5, Stealth6, SR8)
Wheel diameter:
Wheel width:
Backspacing:

Wheel Type: F5, Gunmetal
Wheel diameter: 17"
Wheel width: 7.5"
Backspacing: 3.5"

those look good, im probably going to have to move to a 17" wheel and these are looking like they might be the bee's knees. where did you have to take the wheels to get the lip removed or did scs do that for you?

those look good, im probably going to have to move to a 17" wheel and these are looking like they might be the bee's knees. where did you have to take the wheels to get the lip removed or did scs do that for you?
If you're asking about the wheels on my 80, I removed the inner lip my self with a drum sander. Took a little time but wasn't bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom