Scoping out a new project, questions..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Official hijack: Scott, when is 2015 tech day?
Has a date been set & I missed it?
Sadly I'm not very observant!

Not positive so draw your own conclusions....but

It sounds like the 1-2 shift fork may be busted. Without synchros downshifting into first would likely sound quite "bad". With the ring broken around the fork, it will not always go all the way into first. AFIK the 151s have the same fork design, and act like you describe when broken.

The fork is aluminum, but the chunks are way too big to be floating around a trans for long.

*****Edit
Payment plans are acceptable if you are planning/need to build before spring. :D

Yea I'm leaning twords that or he syncro, I was talking with one of our equipment engineeers at work and he was talking about the syncro, he said he has seen where this has been a symptom of a bad one. The plan is to get a billet shift fork from marlin regardless and toss a rebuild kit at it, if I have the trans apart, I might as well refresh it. I'll buy the axles one way or another!!

Scott I'll be at tech day for sure!! I have a trans Jack if one is needed.

Well I changed the fluid and no chunks came out, so I don't think its the broken shift fork, but you never know. The fluid was a black with a nice metallic hue to it. If my input bering ate itself alive/ ground to dust would it cause the popping out?

I have a new project as well.

Fix the tree fitty or 6.0l?

Tree fitty - already there, has low oil pressure, but low hard miles. Pain in my ass cost me a year of wheeling. Just needs sorting. Money saved can help with other goodies like shocks, springs and maybe orion.

Six point slow - coming out of 45 for new motor. Lots of miles. Will cost about $500 to swap in. Potentially more money and definitely more teething issues. May cause my right foot to get all rompy and break s***.

Gotta decide before the end of the year.

I think that's wishful thinking. An input bearing would make noise in all gears. I think the synchro is probably a good bet now. Trans has to come out. Look at stuff as you disassemble. No point in speculating.

The input bearing howls pretty good. I'm planning on a tear down whenever i can secure an extra vehicle to drive while its down. The nice thing is the FSM has very good instructions on the procedures.

s*** i may as well do an SAS while the trannys dropped and the tools are out.....

Todd sounds like your kinda fxxxed either way. I vote 22r swap for the pig.

Ive always voted 22re.

But other than that, I say 6.0! It allows you to stay out of it!!!

I say 6.0 as well & also there's the whole I agree with whatever the one true Ginger says, I'm a sheep, but I'm Gingers sheep damn it!

I say 6.0 as well & also there's the whole I agree with whatever the one true Ginger says, I'm a sheep, but I'm Gingers sheep damn it!

And what a compliant sheep you are.

Yea I'm leaning twords that or he syncro, I was talking with one of our equipment engineeers at work and he was talking about the syncro, he said he has seen where this has been a symptom of a bad one. The plan is to get a billet shift fork from marlin regardless and toss a rebuild kit at it, if I have the trans apart, I might as well refresh it. I'll buy the axles one way or another!!

Scott I'll be at tech day for sure!! I have a trans Jack if one is needed.

So just as an update to this: I just got off the phone with Marlin and they tore my trans down to assess the damage and it has: a bad counter shaft and all associated bearings, a bad 1/2 fork, a bad 2nd gear (odd because that one worked great it was 1st that was giving me the problems) and a quote from Dave: "we haven't seen a trans this bad in a while." So good thing i didnt try rebuilding that thing myself, bad part is they can only use half the trans so there goes half my core deposit.

Bummage...but I did wonder how that all worked with the core...
Thanks for sharing.

Funny. Your trans felt great compared to the one in the 4 runner I sold Joe!!

You shouldn't lose core money because your trans was too worn out....

You shouldn't lose core money because your trans was too worn out....

Well its in their core policy and like it was explained to me, they assign a dollar value to the non wear components and stuff they have to resuse and base the money you get back based on that. Since they would have to cannablaize another trans to rebuild this one or throw all the parts in the parts pile, that's why its a lower core. Whatever it is what it is I guess.

Funny. Your trans felt great compared to the one in the 4 runner I sold Joe!!

You didn't drive it after it started popping out of first and venting its fluid all over the place. It sounded like a cement mixer by the time o was yanking it out.

You didn't drive it after it started popping out of first and venting its fluid all over the place. It sounded like a cement mixer by the time o was yanking it out.

s***, mine pops out of first gear about twice a week, and feels like I'm shifting a box full of gravel. But it's at least quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom