Say Hello to EMMA... (1 Viewer)

To mod or not to mod, that is the question?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My latest project, a 1978 FJ40...it's been a while since I've owned one but I already have a M8274 coming for her and some OME springs. She's got a small tumor next to the drivers seat, but I'll have it removed and patched up just like factory.

My question is, I love 'em stock but it seems modding the crap out of them doesn't hurt the value, am I wrong?

To mod this one or not?

What are your ultimate plans for it? Just driving around or a more dedicated wheeling rig? Although I personally tend toward leaving it stock for a 40 in decently nice condition, such as yours.

I'd leave it stock if it hasn't been messed with by a previous owner. Looks like a really nice 40!

Dang that thing is beautiful! If you want to crazy mod something why not buy something cheaper? That couldn't have been cheap in that condition.

I think it is pretty well known that stock will always fetch more than a modified one.

In the end it is your cruiser so obviously that decision is up to you. If you plan on selling it I wouldn't change anything but if you plan on keeping it and never selling it set it up the way you want.

As I was told, they're only stock once... :)

This gives me a chub..

Hello EMMA

I have one of each, one highly modded and one basically stock and in great shape. It would be stupid for me to even think about modding a 40 of this caliber. Sell the stock one and purchase one that has already been modified. I'm not a purist by any stretch of imagination, in fact, the modded 40 is by far my favorite and much more fun to drive.

hellllo, Emma, sweetheart! ... nice looking 40 ... I'm a traditionalist ... looks like its a survivor and it deserves its factory glory ... :cool:

What everyone else said. With these trucks getting harder to find relatively unmolested, it would be a shame to see this one go that route (unless there's a V8 or something under there we just haven't seen yet).

I'll tell you what, I'll trade you rig-for-rig. You can mod the crap out of mine and nobody would give it a second thought :hillbilly:

I've decided to just bolt on some cool stuff, going to order the GOBI Ranger, especially since they offer a free ladder and shipping. I have some Swiss Gerry/Jerry cans I used in South America that I sandblasted and powder coated OD Green that will fit nicely on the rack. I did lose the auction on the 8274, so maybe I'll find a suitable winch for the front.
It needs springs, so OME med duty are on the way as well...and probably some KM2's...then I'll just go to work on the inside making it perfect.

Yeah, as long as you don't cut the rear quarters to fit big tires or something like that, all your changes are reversible. For me, it would come down to deciding if I would ever be likely to sell the truck or if I was more likely to keep it. My own is a keeper (plus the rear quarters were already cut) so it does not bother me to make all the mods I want.

Beautiful truck though! I would never sell it if it were mine.

Adding OME, winch, 33's, rack.....IMOP, none hurt the value, most of those look stock or how they would have looked back in the day.

It's when you start hacking it up, painting odd colors, SOA....those hurt

Great looking 40

My question is, I love 'em stock but it seems modding the crap out of them doesn't hurt the value, am I wrong?

Would be curious why you think this? The high dollar cruisers sold at auction are stock or very close to stock. Last time I checked doing mods wasn't free. You have to deduct those costs from the sale price. Not only do the heavily modified cruisers sell for less it cost money to lose money.

I see a lot of them heavily modded in the $35k+ range....not sure if they sell, but it's what I see out there.

Love the gobi. Doesnt fit in garage or parking garage i use :(

Nice looking set of wheels.

With regard to mod or not to mod that is up to what you want. Years ago I tried towing a tent trailer up the Grape Vine (freeway in So. Cal.). I was fine until another vehicle slowed me down and then it was down shift the three speed to second and try and regain momentum. After that I always said when the 6 cylinder died it would be replaced with a V-8.

What you want, only you can say.

Quality reversible bolt-ons won't hurt the value. I'd argue that a 4Plus bumper and rear tire carrier would add tremendous value especially if you're adding a winch and larger tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom