Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good. You must be getting nervous about finishing if you're working on it during the week.

Looks good. You must be getting nervous about finishing if you're working on it during the week.

yeah I am. It's turning into another job that starts at 5:00 but it's gotta get done. Still have to rebuild driveshafts, finish up skid, build trans tunnel, lower the front, revamp power steering, disc brakes conversion, and do a shake down all before GSTMR which is only 8 weeks away. :eek:

Feel like I'm leaving something out, I had a To-Do list going somewhere, hmmm.:hmm:

Yeah I'm panicking a little.

got a start on the trans tunnel tonight but I'm running outta sheet metal.

20160316_191539.jpg

Go to a junk yard and get the biggest freak hood you can. It's a whole lot cheaper that way.

Did you figure out the rear transfercase mount ?

I got to thinking the T/G skid plate I run doubles as a mounting point for the transfer case mounts. So maybe you can bolt the back mount to the skid plate or all of them.

It's Alive!!!!

Turns out I gotta build a new front drive shaft cuz the factory shaft doesn't have enough slip t handle the articulation.

Had another project to work on today too, Sam need to check the tars.
20160319_180834.jpg

SWEET !!

I smell a road trip for a shake down run .

still lots to do. Rear suspension is held on by tack welds, no front drive shaft, no shock mounts, no trans tunnel, no seats, swap diffs etc... The list only gets longer from there but yeah I need a shake down run before GSMTR.

Sounds like you need a few more helping hands. If I lived closer would be happy to help.

Sounds like you need a few more helping hands. If I lived closer would be happy to help.

I know you would bud and I truly do appreciate that. I'll get there but if I ever decide to rebuild this thing again please kick me in the nards as hard as you can.

hoping to have the trans tunnel, harnesses and seats done by the end of the week. Front d-shaft and rear spring mount gusseting this weekend and then on to the axles. The pig roast will be the shake down (I hope) in mid April as Durhamtown is pretty tame.

Last edited:
so finally 4WD again for the first time since November, built a new front drive shaft\, 44" droop length with about 10-12" slip.

Have a lot of "almost dones" but at least I was able to stretch it out on the wall on Saturday, needs a little more trimming.

20160326_160620.jpg

20160326_160631.jpg

Still to do for the PR:
rear shock mounts
diffs
finish skid plate
tighten rear axle bolts
finish trans trunnel
install passenger seat and harness
new exhaust

20160325_192300.jpg

Last edited:
Rear shock mounts - DONE
rear spring mounts - DONE
fine tune shifters (cut and bend) - DONE
drivers seat and harness - DONE

Trans tunnel - DONE
Passenger Seat-DONE
skid plate -DONE
Front and rear driveshaft - DONE
anti-wrap bar - DONE

Still to do (minor list)
Rear bump stops
hook up CB speaker - DONE
mount tool boxes - DONE
re-install rock lights - 90% DONE

Last edited:
a little history/reminder since it's been since October. Before departing for Moab John and I tore down my front axle because i was getting an intermittent popping sound. We found 1 or 2 broken teeth on the 5.29 ring gear and figured we'd found the issue so I transferred my locker to a spare diff and headed out to Moab basically untested.

2 days in the popping had gotten considerably worse so obviously the problem was not resolved. The only common denominator b/w the original differential and the replacement diff was the locker and of course the axle shafts. To resolve the issue for the duration of the trip Steve and I tore down the front axle again and replaced the entire diff with one of his locked spares and I threw in the new set of Longfields I'd bought ahead of time. From there on out the front worked flawlessly.

Anyway, FF to now. I finally tore down the replacement front diff that was swapped in just prior to departure and all the gears are good but I did find this when I took out the locker.

20160411_171155.jpg
20160411_171203.jpg
20160411_171334.jpg

Last edited:
Last few weeks have been hectic so no updates but rig is finally ready for GSMTR.

only thing left is to fix a latch on the newly built half doors.

Diffs are finally installed and actually have matching gears. Rear bump stops are installed, first time I'll have bumps in probably 5 years.

Who needs bump stops??? :meh:

Last edited:
Last few weeks have been hectic so no updates but rig is finally ready for GSMTR.

only thing left is to fix a latch on the newly built half doors.

Diffs are finally installed and actually have matching gears. Rear bump stops are installed, first time I'll have bumps in probably 5 years.

It'll be interesting to see your half doors. Are they tube? If so, what did you use for latches?

It'll be interesting to see your half doors. Are they tube? If so, what did you use for latches?

Nothing fancy, just relocated the factory door handles.

20160511_201808.jpg

I like those Ted. Looking forward to seeing the tater next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom