San Juan Trip June 21-28 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kyle-landcruiser.blogspot.com
Well its time to start planning the San Juan Trip!

Dates June 21-28. Its a full week, so come and go as you please if you can only make it for a few days, or come for the whole time.

Camping: Plan on staying in Golden Horn again this year. Its a great area to camp, its free, and has a pit toilet. The turn off is about 2 miles north of Silverton, down South Mineral Creek. There is plenty of room for trailers, and great places to camp along the Creek, along with fishing.

Trails: There are so many to choose from! Most are in the easy to moderate range of difficulty, but there are a couple more difficult trails. There are multiple ghost towns, extinct mining operations, hiking trails, lakes, passes to check out. Snow doesn't appear to be a huge issue baring any significant storms between now and May, so I'd expect trails to clear out early. If there are trails that people want to do, start listing them!

Hopefully we can get a good turn out for this year. The few that went last year had a great time. If you've never been down to the San Juans, you're missing out...

I will be ending a backpacking trip in the San Juan's just as you are getting there.

I'm going to try and make it. it will only be for a few days if I can make it.

I'm going to try and make it the latter weekend, plus Friday and maybe Thursday too.

I'm going to try and make a few days at some point. Possibly mid-week since the wife will be working. But it also depends on the movers. So I'll be playing it by ear.

FYI: The Blue Ribbon Bacon Tour @ Keystone is on the 27th and 28th.

Thinking I'm going to try to wheel/camp/hike/etc. with you guys during the week, then fill up on piggie and beer on the weekend. :D

Alpine Loop Condition Report (May 12, 2015)
Per our County Road Department (photo is not current image)

Cinnamon Pass (CR 30) - gates are open and road is plowed to Grizzley Gulch and just prior to American Basin.

Engineer Pass (CR 20) - gates are open and road plowed to Palmetto Gulch and the suspension bridge house.

PLASE DO NOT TRY TO GO BEYOND THESE AREAS!

The County creew is still working to make it to the top of each pass. They anticapate having the passes open by Memorial weekend but it could be as late at the first week of June. Snow fell in the high county over the weekend that could cause some delays.

Haven't been keeping track, have the San Juans been getting hit with as much precipitation as we have?

We still a go for June?

Had my last day of school today, so I'm ready to do some planning.

Kyle, thinking you should come up one of these days for a planning party. :D

I know they have been plowing the passes up there. They are largely missed out on the heavier snow down there, so we should be good. The main problem may be rain, washouts and mud/rock slides if the rain keeps up. Some of my long term model progs are showing a dry period at the end of June, so we may be really good! I'm game for a planning meeting...just have to work around my work schedule a bit.

The Alpine Ranger, Casey McGill, went over Cinnamon Pass today. He reported 4 to 12 inches of snow to get through going over the pass.
Please take care in attempting to access American Basin and potential but not advised attempts of going over Cinnamon Pass into Animas Forks this holiday weekend.
11254062_10153279682751894_7450235753542240631_n.jpg

Glad to hear they got it open. Will have to start looking at another "multi-pass run".

We'll see...have to get the timing adjusted and the carb adjusted. Otherwise its running great. Also need to get the cowl vent drain tubes in. If I do, I'll need someone to caravan down there with me...it'd be its first big trip and all...

Sounds sweet! Any trails a stock Pig (no lift, no lock) on 33's would be comfortable on?

Hey man, it would be great to have you join us!

My first thought was that you shouldn't bring the 55 because I'd make a mess of it with all the drool I'd slobber all over it. But then I realized that the tears I'm sure to cry thinking of my own unfulfilled 55 dreams would surely wash it clean. :hillbilly:

As for a real answer for taking the 55, you'll probably want to wait to hear back from someone who's actually wheeled there, this will be my first trip to the area.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom