San Diego Area Cruiser-Related Resource List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A great source for various metals. They have lots of scrap for cheap.

IMS, Industrial Metal Supply (Kearny Mesa)
7550 Ronson Road
San Diego, CA 92111
858-277-8200

Transmissions. Never done a full trans rebuild but they have done misc work and have been great.

Dr. Trans (Kearny Mesa)
4855 Ruffner St. Suite E
SD
8/292-4300

Plastics. They have it all.

SD Plastics
2220 McKinley Avenue
National City CA 91950
800/925-4855 619/477-4855

Industrial supply. Most everyone know Marshalls but might as well add it to the list.

Marshalls
8423 Production Ave.
San Diego, CA 92121-2022
(858) 271-5555

Sandblasting & powdercoating. I have used others but prefer:

RW Little Co.
3923 PACIFIC HIGHWAY
SAN DIEGO CA 92110

MIT did my regear and I have had no problems.

You might try these guys Bengels Hot Rods & Off-Road.

Sam PKP80 had them fab a roll cage for him a few years ago.

Just had Bob cut and lengthen my transfer case shift linkage. He does great work. As soon as I can save up some more funds I'm going to have him do some upgrades to my roll bar.

Hi Guys,

Is Bengels Off Road & Hot Rod Prod. the only place to do a custom cage in San Diego...

I am looking to drop one in my HJ47 troopy as I put it back together... Currently taking her through a rebuild just across the boarder.. these guys have done like 7 FJ's they say in the last year and their work looks good.....

Issue is they do not do cage fabrication..

81TroopyNaked1.jpg

Hi Guys,

Is Bengels Off Road & Hot Rod Prod. the only place to do a custom cage in San Diego...

I am looking to drop one in my HJ47 troopy as I put it back together... Currently taking her through a rebuild just across the boarder.. these guys have done like 7 FJ's they say in the last year and their work looks good.....

Issue is they do not do cage fabrication..

81TroopyNaked1.jpg

There is a shop on Miramar road that does cages, they have all the equipment and do it for racecars and rock crawlers as well as wheeling rigs. I forget the name they are next to a small used car lot that always has Toyotas. the BNT club had their safety inspection at the place last year. Maybe TTim knows the name.

Cheers,

Michael

Any recc's for brake shops? Live at the beach, Encinitas, and don't want to get raped on a brake job. Seems like I am probably going to have to get the rotors done so trying to save some money. Don't have the time to do the job myself.

Ended up getting my brakes done at BRADS FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC in Encinitas Brad's Foreign and Domestic of Encinitas if anyone is looking for a good shop in that area. Did a great job for a reasonable price. Knew they probably were going to make more problems like some of the other shops I have taken my 40 to in the past when I saw the owners own 72 Fj40 in one of the bays. They also had another 60 series they were working on.

Took your advice on WTB Muffler in Vista. Couldn't agree more. Walked in at 2:00 and had a complete custom exhaust from scratch by 6:30. Thanks for the list!

Alignment Shop?

Looking for a good old school alignment place. Somewhere that knows how to tune steering based on driver feedback to add caster, etc. not looking for the high school kids that say the machine says its all in the green.

North County preferred.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

another for:

General Cruiser Work:

THE TRUCK SHOP
(858) 408-0314
8660 Miramar Road
San Diego, CA 92126
http://www.sdtruckshop.com/

I will also need a good body shop soon if there are any recommendations. I have some rust coming up around my front windshield that needs to be addressed. I will want my window pulled, all rust adressed and then all new gaskets and seals installed. Thanks!

ORW works on Toyota 4x4s

I've had good luck with Off Road Warehouse (ORW) in Escondido, CA. They've helped with suspension work, tire balancing, alignment, caster adjustment, sliders, winch and bumpers, skid plates on my 80 Series, Tacoma and 4Runner over the years.

They can also help get suspension dialed in. They actually do a great deal of R&D with FOX Shox and Bilstein.

ORW also carries a lot of nice off-road race and fab parts that other off-road shops don't.

I usually work with Jason, the shop manager. He's knowledgeable in Toyotas and really good to work with. I would highly recommend them for general off-road work.

Off Road Warehouse
2645 Auto Park way
Escondido, Ca 92029

Phone: 760-746-3193
http://offroadwarehouse.com

Custom fab work

JD Fab in Escondido does some killer custom fab work. Their specialty is desert trucks, so if you're looking for something that can haul ass, yet take a beating (think KOH), JD might be the right shop for you.

Jesse has built some killer Toyotas over the years. Here's a 60 Series they're currently working on.

JD Fabrication
1520 Industrial Ave Suite D
Escondido, CA 92029
(760) 740-0442
http://jdfabrication.com

Plating Services?

Anyone had stuff zinc or otherwise plated in San Diego? I found several places through Google but was looking for a place you might have used with good results. BTW, thanks for the heads up on Kenyon Machine Shop, currently have my 2F in there getting cleaned up and checked out for rebuild.

Noah, I will be reaching out to you soon regarding my 77 rebuild that is underway. I need some metal work and suggestions for possible PS addition.

Thank you all!:beer:

Alignment Shop?

Looking for a good old school alignment place. Somewhere that knows how to tune steering based on driver feedback to add caster, etc. not looking for the high school kids that say the machine says its all in the green.

North County preferred.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Bump this one again...

Dom, did you find anyone in th North County area?
Otherwise I might look into one of those places where you can get lifetime alignment...

I just saw this thread. I would give a thumbs up to Intermountain Radiator in Poway. They mated the 3FE AC pump to my 85 fj60 after my engine swap and did a a lot of maintenance in the process. To be honest, a lot of the existing hardware gave them issues and I had to return a few times for little stuff but they took care of everything promptly without charging me any extra (even though they certainly could have).

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom