Rust rust rust opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have to agree with everyone here. I purchased my 89 from a private party, and unfortunately, didn't know where to look for all the rust issues (wasn't a MUD member at the time).

I have some rust issues around the roof line, similar to that which you show here.
I've gotten a quote from one old school all steel body man, to cut and replace with steel (minimal filler), and prep for paint (no paint yet) of $400.00. The problem is, he's slower than molasses on a cold morning and you probably won't see your rig for 6 months!

With what you're showing, I'd say 2k is a conservative figure, and that's depending on how much more is there that you don't see.

The rust in the engine compartment scares the hell out of me as well.
If it were me, unless it's darned near free, I'd walk.

JMHO.

OD

Surely being in Texas you can find one without all that rust within a few hours drive. Here in the Midwest you have to drive many 100s of miles to get out of the rust belt. Any 60/62 for sale up here is worse than that unless it came from another region.

Fish Town, if there's an interest, I have a clean 85 tub and frame that I'm considering getting rid of. I robbed the right rear quarter, but that can be replaced. I live about 30 miles from San Marcos. If interested, I could help you with most the parts needed to make it a 4-speed. That's a great combination with the 3F.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422795431.422864.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422795491.770655.jpg

Is somebody giving you that for free? If not, walk away.

Walk away anyway... even for free you are looking at the tip of the iceberg as far as the rust. These are not that hard to find in decent shape for reasonable money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom