1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running on one drive shaft with cdl switch?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by semlin, May 6, 2003.

1. semlin

semlin rocker

Media:
    Does anyone have any experience running on one drive shaft using the CDL switch? What speeds should you run on or off road? What distances can you safely run? I imagine running in rear wheel drive is not too bad, but front wheel drive might be very hard on truck. Any comments?

Also, does anyone have a link to C-Dan's jumper bypass instructions for the CDL switch? I know they were on the old SOR board but I can't find a post here.

2. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Last year at Coal Miner Cruiser Classic we trashed the rear drive-shaft on Sunday. Drive with CDL locked from PA to Toledo. Got a used rear shaft at the junk yard and installed it and ran home with it. All was highway at highway speeds. Have also driven from Las Vegas to Denver on a rear only, when the front CV (Dana style) gave out.

3. Chris_Geiger

Chris_Geiger

I have run over 300 miles (home) in my 4Runner in front wheel drive with the rear shaft removed. I have done the same in my Pickup (100 miles home). Both were a handfull to drive, evey time you get on or off the gas the front of the truck pulls to one side or the other. It's not something you want to do often but it will get you home and it won't cause any damage to the front end.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf

5. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

6. Wrench

Wrench One Bashed Up 80

This is good to know since I will be taking my rear of to get it retubed.

7. Junk

Junk

Wench - you should also consider getting a spare - from a junker or something just to have with you if you're gonna be playing on the rocks. Not required of course, but wouldn't be bad to have with you. FYI, diff years take diff driveshafts. JH's 91 is mucho different than mine from the 97.