Running boards vs Nerf bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 1997 LE that is missing the factory running boards. I would like some opinions in what to install. Pictures, cost, and where to order would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sliders. Just google them. There are tons of options, ive got minimalist styled tubed and welded to the frame ones. They also come with bolt on brackets and different types of tubing. Protects your rockers well and can still be used as a step. You can have them custom made or bought from a manufacturer such as slee.

If you plan to do any significant off roading, I would look for steel sliders. If you'll only be doing dirt roads and whatnot, pick up a set of used running boards from a mud member or local craigslist. As for nerf bars vs. running boards, IMO factory running boards look better. They serve the same purpose: zero body protection, it's just there as a step to help getting in and out of the vehicle.

If you were in CO, you could have my running boards for cheap :eek:

Many sliders also function as steps. If you're going to pay money and put something on the rockers, make it functional. My Viper 4x4 sliders are flat on top, with grip tape, and function very well as steps.

a 97 LE?

Check out bump it off-road , mike makes a slider that is just like the running boards, he is good guy and great to do business with

If your not going to wheel it running boards . My 80 came with aluminum nerf bars that I took off and still have in shop if you want pm me. cheap. They are in the middle if slider and running boards. Not for wheeling.

Keep it naked. I took my running boards off and the truck looks 10x better. If you're in FL you can have my running boards for free. SItting in my garage taking up space.

If you are not going to wheel your rig, go with OEM running boards. If you live in norcal you can have my stock ones. For a case of new castle beer!
If you want protection, go with sliders, too many options. Search here....

Many sliders also function as steps. If you're going to pay money and put something on the rockers, make it functional. My Viper 4x4 sliders are flat on top, with grip tape, and function very well as steps.
footrat,
Can you post a pic of your VPR 4x4 sliders on your 80? I haven't seen many pictures besides the ones on their website. I'm about to purchase a set myself and would like to see a picture of them on a non photo shopped truck. Thanks

I have set of White Knuckle sliders sitting in my garage to put on soon. They also have a tread plate option that can enhance their use as steps. I chose to get just the bars and plan to put grip tape on them for step usage.

The amount you want to spend, the intended use of your rig as well as shipping costs may be a deciding factor in what you want to buy. I liked the white knuckle design, I liked bolt on, they are heavy duty and also that I could drive up and pick them up to save shipping costs.

I have set of White Knuckle sliders sitting in my garage to put on soon. They also have a tread plate option that can enhance their use as steps. I chose to get just the bars and plan to put grip tape on them for step usage.

The amount you want to spend, the intended use of your rig as well as shipping costs may be a deciding factor in what you want to buy. I liked the white knuckle design, I liked bolt on, they are heavy duty and also that I could drive up and pick them up to save shipping costs.
I like the White Knuckle sliders but just can't shell out the dime. I would definitely have to do the full diamond plate integrated steps because of the kiddos:bounce2::bounce:and :princess: climbing in & out. I also really enjoy the duel purpose functionality of the www.vpr4x4.com AC-130 model sliders. They seem to be good quality and blend into the natural body lines of the 80... and $600 vs. $1,000 wins me over.
http://vpr4x4.com/site/wp-content/u...SERIE-90-07-ROCK-SLIDER-AC-130-N1-720x405.jpg

Last edited:
@MojoCruiser I have the white knuckle sliders with diamond plate and they are awesome! but they don't stick out far at all and are tucked up close to the body. They're better than nothing for stepping on but it's a small lip to stand on compared to slee off-roads sliders

Can you get those for an 80? The caption says 90 under the pic.

I have a set of white knuckle sliders with diamond plate as well. I like the VPR 4x4 sliders but the difference is the Cat protection. And the White Knuckle may stick out a little more. I wish all the supplied nuts and bolts were stainless though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom