ROW carb'd 1FZ engine, any experience out there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REDrum

What Would Steve Zissou Do?
Threads
Mt Monadnock Region NH, US & Montezuma, Costa Rica
Website
www.tolteccoffee.com
A buddy is looking to buy a 1993 80 that is carb'd not EFI. Evidently they were sold to Rest Of the World, just not US. Anyone have any pros/cons to offer.

This truck is in central america and will be staying there.

Parts might be an issue. Most of the rest of the hemisphere tends to go diesel in LandCruisers, although the Venezuelan market may be an exception. So gas is in the minority already in terms of parts demand. Got no idea of fuel injection vs carb % in gassers though. Mr. T may still have lots of parts.

So long as the truck stays near sea level, a carbed motor might be tolerable, but a fuel injected one would still be preferable and less fussy to maintain. I can tell you a 2F w/ standard carbueration is pretty slow at any elevation, based on my FJ55 experience. I'm sure a couple of decades more experience helped with that, but didn't overcome the fundamental advantages that FI brings to the table on the same motor vs a carb.

I have 1FZ-F engine, very sturdy, low maintenance, carburetor new cost $260. Usually by 200 KKms it needs replacement, as the internal moving parts wear out heavily.

No ECU, no cats, no oxygen sensors, no electric fuel pump (engine mounted diaphragm pump), no headache with electronics. New carb comes adjusted and set, so no adjustment required. Only the heating element heeds adjustment for the weather conditions used.

It is controlled by system of vacuum tubes, these are warming up RPMs, choke control when you depress the accelerator and etc, once figured out it is very simple to maintain, adjust and repair (actually there is nothing to repair - it just does'n break, if maintained properly)

They are specially designed for poor quality fuel, low octane petrol is OK for them.

The only downside is, it is considerably weaker than it's electronic counterpart FE. If will be used on sea levels and up to 1500 meters above sea level they are OK, if higher I would not recommend it - the power loss is drastic. In many cases I shift down to low gears to make it pull itself. We are not talking pulling trailer or being overloaded with camping gear.

Other than that - the 80s are pretty much the same. So anytime the EFI can be attached to that engine.

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback everyone. Truck is going to be inspected by local Mechanico next week,

Pretty sure carb'd IFZ-FE were sold in 80s in VZ and forklifts around the world until 2008 - parts should be a non issue. Sounds like a dream set up honestly from a simplicity stand point.

Here are the details (para hablar en espanol), and has full receipts for head rebuild, HG, front engine seals.

Toyotona 1993 $5,000 — Los Arcos Se vende Toyotona 1993 manual Motor 1fz 4.500 gasolina 6 cilindros Discos delanteros nuevos Fibras de freno delanteras nuevas Kitt de caliper Kit de roles y chanelas nuevos Aceites de culos y cajas Juego de rótulas nuevos Batería nueva Arrancador y alternador reparados Caja de fuses blusea para accesorios Base lista para batería adicional Radiador nuevo Full canasta pintada en gravitex Base para repuesto Tubo para agua Chasis completo pintado en gravitex Llantas 35 x 12.5 nuevas Yokohama Body lift 2 pulgadas americano Lift de 2 pulgadas Bushing de tensoras y barras nuevos Focos delanteros nuevos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom