rough start /air gas issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys another question in the quest to make my rig reliable after getting totally ripped off.
It starts really rough after I don't drive it for a few days, but when I get it started it restarts everytime.
The motor shakes and clangs while trying to start. A guy at auto zone told me it's likely a vaccum/air delivery and check for bad or cracked hoses. Anyone have this issue before and what are the main areas to look at. I'm no mechanic and haven't got my manual yet for the truck. I've never owned a throttle body vehicle and I don't have the cash to take to a mechanic.
Thanks for any ideas or input.

Bump..

These things are pretty darn reliable even after all these years and neglect but that does take it's toll on them.

General consensus is that you need to do all your maintenance, it sounds like simple maintenance is required. Do a search and look at FAQ. I would start with vacuum hoses, throttle body cleaner, check for cracked intake and clogged filter, change oil, do a fuel system cleaner, plugs, cap and rotter.........

Good luck, she is an old lady so take your time and get her the TLC she needs.

Thanks Qball I've started on some of those things, I have found a crack near base of PCV hose I'm guessing may be the culprit. Also pulled all the plugs and found just a tad of oil on #4 near the hex. Drained tan flushed and found small leak near water pump gasket bottom. I don't think the pump is bad just bad seal.

I've seen more than one person put a filter on that PCV hose. They're cheap.

I wonder if it's your emission system. Your charcoal canister is behind your battery and connects to the vsv (blue thing) in that little cubby between the two halves of the intake. This line pops off the vsv all the time on my truck.

I noticed that when the line from my charcoal canister is connected the vsv the truck starts rough. If I leave it hanging in the compartment the truck starts right up and runs smooth :meh:. Weird.

Also, you can get little silicone caps for all those tiny vacuum lines. They sell them at Home Depot/Lowes and they're cheap. Get silicone as the rubber degrades pretty quick. Cap and uncap lines to see which ones are bad and replace them. Trial and error. If your truck is a 94 you should be able to trouble shoot all that without triggering you CEL.

Just my $0.02.

Does it start fine after sitting over one night or long enough to cool down completely? Sounds fuel related to me. I strongly advise that you become the proud owner of a factory service manual. All the info you need plus troubleshooting charts.

Thanks guys I will look into the canister issue as well, for now I found both the breathers were cracked near base and my vaccum system is probably suffering.
The longer it sits the rougher the start. I am waiting on a couple things from parts and then I will fool around with more hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom