Builds ROTW: wildsmith's 94 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Too bad the traffic dept. would get on my case about it! I am currently having a rough time trying to keep the cops off my back cause I am not authorized to have wind deflectors and a snorkel! I have to get my car inspected next month and so far I know I will fail the inspection since I don't have permits for any of the add-ons that I put on my rig!
Sounds like a tough place to have a modified truck!

That is one of the best looking, well though out rigs that I have seen. I love this rig. You've got to let me go wheeling with you next time i'm back over in england. Have you taken it to langdale farms yet?? (or maybe it's langdale fields??) the heat extractor fan in the hood is one of my next mods that I was thinking of doing.
What kind of performance upgrades do they have for the turbo motor over there?? I love that 15" screen do you have any more pics of it from different angles??

great rig :grinpimp:

That is one of the best looking, well though out rigs that I have seen. I love this rig. You've got to let me go wheeling with you next time i'm back over in england.
I'm sure something could be arranged for any visiting ih8muders. Better hurry up though while there's still somewhere we're allowed to drive.

Have you taken it to langdale farms yet?? (or maybe it's langdale fields??) the heat extractor fan in the hood is one of my next mods that I was thinking of doing.
I think you're thinking of Langdale Quest? No, haven't been there. For the first couple of years of ownership I did mostly only go to what we call 'pay & play' sites, private sites with off road courses like Langdale Quest. I got bored with them though they did help a lot in finding out to drive in difficult terrain. The last 4 or 5 years has been mostly driving old and little used highways that modern times have left behind and nature wants to reclaim.

What kind of performance upgrades do they have for the turbo motor over there?? I love that 15" screen do you have any more pics of it from different angles??
You can put an intercooler on them and a sports turbo from All American Imports in Holland so you can run a lot more boost. Re-gearing is my first step towards getting performance back, then I'll think about the intercooler and turbo.

The interior shot of the screen is a couple of years out of date. Not much has changed but I'll get some more pictures in the morning and post them.

Great write-up thanks for taking the time...fun to see non-US spec cruisers...and have to say those tires (Simex) make me REALLY jealous

I do have to ask though, are simex tires any more expensive than other mud terrain tires?

barrypt5

i really enjoyed the progression from towing 'lorry' to DD to strictly speaking off-roader.

Neat stuff.

thanks for sharing. nice photographs as well with the ravines and flex

Jon- thanks for the pics! So on the bonnet scoop/fan, can you give us some details like:

- do you have the fan pulling air into the engine bay?

- how did you decide to shape the hole in the hood and deal with water intrusion

- did you make a shroud or seal for the fan or did you just mount it straight to the hood?

- can you please post some pics of the outside of your hood showing the scoop?

- have you compared before/after coolant temperatures for the mechanical vs. electric vs. electric w/ bonnet fan setups?

Thanks again! Lots of great ideas on your rig.

I put some tell tales on the scoop intake a few weeks ago and it's interesting that air is being sucked into the scoop (without the fan running of course) rather than blown out which means I should be getting good air flow over the back of the engine which is where it's probably needed most.

Its nice to see a Diesel in rotw. Looks great thanks for the pics. My next up grade will be a intercooler.:cheers:

Wow! Great rig! You really use it and use it well. Each of your mods deserves it's own thread, you have really used some ingenuity in coming up with just what you need. Good job, and thanks for the ROTW!

Great looking truck and excellent modifications for what you do and what you need. Sweet.

Wow! Great rig! You really use it and use it well. Each of your mods deserves it's own thread, you have really used some ingenuity in coming up with just what you need. Good job, and thanks for the ROTW!

My thoughts too...man that thing get used right! I'm skeered to use mine like that...I try to preserve it a little too much at times! Thanks for the great write up...

You sure have to know people in the right places! I still enjoy living here though!

Sounds like a tough place to have a modified truck!

More interior pictures. Like most developments on this truck the interior has just evolved over the last 7 years. It does exactly what I want but it's not pretty.

I keep my spare in the back which takes a lot of space. I've tried it in different positions including standing up on one side but how it is now works best for me. I'm experimenting with making some bumper corners and when I'm happy with those I'll probably include a swing out arm to put the spare on.

DSCF0001.JPG

All my recovery gear e.g. ropes, strops, ground anchor, axe, sledge hammer, hand winch, air bag jack,hi-lift jack etc is stored to the sides. On the left below the compressor is where my chainsaw usually lives but it's on the bench for a new chain. Imediately in front of the chainsaw space is a 110ah aux battery.

DSCF0002.JPG

The boards above the spare tyre slide out. The brown blocks just above the boards at the sides allows the rear most board to be slid partially out and used as a work surface without tipping down. The spare tyre can be strapped to the roof and the boards slid out if I need more interior space. The thin bit of board half way along just slots in and stops smaller stuff sliding all over the place or is removed for long loads.

DSCF0003.JPG

The area starting where the side boards are black is removable to allow refitting the 2nd row of seats. This section has a storage bin each side with hinged lids and the central area is a subwoofer cabinet. Forwards of the storage bins are forward facing shelves. The load barrier is just some 10mm bar I bent and welded into shape then clamped to the roll cage. There's a rear facing shelf on that and the beam from my hi-lift jack (the rest of the jack is in the left side rear pic 1).

DSCF0006.JPG

From the sides you can see the front section better.

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

If the back is loaded up with camping gear or something then access to the storage bins is blocked so I cut holes in the sides for access. I have to remove the water or fuel can but I only keep spares and tools in those bins so if I need access I or someone I'm with already has some problems to deal with so it's an acceptable compromise for me.

DSCF0009.JPG

From the front:

DSCF0015.JPG

Here's the screen again and you can see the relocated heater controls in the centre console:

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

The bonnet air scoop:

DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

My thoughts too...man that thing get used right! I'm skeered to use mine like that...I try to preserve it a little too much at times! Thanks for the great write up...
I've had no plans to ever part with this truck for a long time now and the day I bought it I wrote the money off mentally so I don't have to worry about keeping it's value for the next owner, just will the doors open/close and will it get me where I want to go without too much stress.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments.

Great write-up thanks for taking the time...fun to see non-US spec cruisers...and have to say those tires (Simex) make me REALLY jealous

I do have to ask though, are simex tires any more expensive than other mud terrain tires?

barrypt5
Depends what you compare them to. They're more expensive than the less aggressive MT's like BFG, about the same as Pitbulls which there's a distributor for here and a lot less than importing decent tyres from the USA. This newer size with the extra centre block is a really good compromise tyre for me - clears the mud easily but has good lateral grid for slippery side slopes and does well on rock / tarmac even when wet.

Jon- thanks for the pics! So on the bonnet scoop/fan, can you give us some details like:

- do you have the fan pulling air into the engine bay?

- how did you decide to shape the hole in the hood and deal with water intrusion

- did you make a shroud or seal for the fan or did you just mount it straight to the hood?

- can you please post some pics of the outside of your hood showing the scoop?

- have you compared before/after coolant temperatures for the mechanical vs. electric vs. electric w/ bonnet fan setups?

Thanks again! Lots of great ideas on your rig.

The fan blows air out of the engine bay. That's the way it comes from Kenlowe and makes the most sense to me. The fan is needed when I'm slow slogging or if the main fans are running and pumping very hot air back over the engine. The bonnet fan is then sucking the hotest air out of the engine bay and I can tell you it's like putting your hand in front of a powerful hair or hand dryer, it shifts a lot of very hot air.

The hole is just a 10" diameter circle. I used a bit of string with a marker pen tied on the outer end and used my thumb to trap the other end in the centre of where I wanted the hole. Then I jigsaw'd the hole. Bit low tech but that's me all over :D

The fan has a small lip round the edge that mates with the bonnet so I just ran some sealant round that and bolted it in, no need for a shroud.

I don't have any numbers for before and after temps, just the effect on how often the main fans run. They used to run a lot, now they hardly ever run. I have recently got an IR thermomenter so plan to compare temps with my wifes 80 which has the OEM mechanical fan still at some point but that will still be a bit vague. If I get time I might block the hole and keep that fan switched off then I could get more meaningful numbers.

Last edited:
We call them trucks as well. The OIL plate was chosen because it's a diesel aka an oil burner. It's just a cheap private plate that makes about as much sense as having my initials or something which mean nothing to anyone else. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
:eek:
You don't seem to hate mud, but that comes with the country I imagine. Do you happen to travel to more dusty areas (ie North Africa) to naturally sandblast your rig?

I've had no plans to ever part with this truck for a long time now and the day I bought it I wrote the money off mentally so I don't have to worry about keeping it's value for the next owner, just will the doors open/close and will it get me where I want to go without too much stress.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments.

LOL nice.
I agree. buy bang it and plan trips. To try and maintain value on a 4x4 rig intended to actually 4x4.... is mute. buy it bang it and laugh about it.
What I really like is your attitude and what you have evolved. It supports the notion that a rig does not need to be all 'Slee'd out' while we all would love a spending Slee Spree... but really when it comes down to it, take it out and explore.

Bravo.... and hood fan to pull heat out is neat.. i like that idea.:beer:

:grinpimp:
I think you're thinking of Langdale Quest? No, haven't been there. For the first couple of years of ownership I did mostly only go to what we call 'pay & play' sites, private sites with off road courses like Langdale Quest. I got bored with them though they did help a lot in finding out to drive in difficult terrain. The last 4 or 5 years has been mostly driving old and little used highways that modern times have left behind and nature wants to reclaim.

Langdale Quest... yeah thats the one... I saw loads of ads for it in some british 4x4 mags when I was in scottland and london in summer. It said you can rent a mog to go 4x4ing in. It's on my to do list.

wildsmith-- dont see my original post here but again congrats on a well thought out and executed rig. Lots of unique and creative options from the interior loft storage to the tree sliders :) couple questions.
the scoop is off center.. was this to work around the hood bracing, or is that the hot side of the diesels?
and what are the green grid panels strapped to the gate? sand rails or in you case mud rails for traction?

again very nice creation!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom