ROTW TiredironGRB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
tired-iron.mounet.com
1991 FJ80 with Volvo Portals
Having been a military vehicle collector for over twenty years I’ve owned a wide range of vehicles from a World War Two tank to a Slantback Humvee, but the military vehicle that performed best off-road was the Volvo C304 6X6 which had portal axles but lacked in the "Creature Feature" area.
304_Bogger07.jpg

I’m also a big Land Cruiser fan having owned a couple FJ40s and a FJ55, so when I ran across a good deal on a "91 FJ80 I couldn't resist. My original intention was to make it a medium duty trail rig with the usual modifications (springs and shocks, lockers, tires, etc.). I drove the 80 for a couple of weeks and was amazed at the comfort and sturdy design, with it parked beside the Volvo 6X6 I began to notice how well the Volvo portal axles would fit underneath the 80.
TLC_01.jpg

Fujitsu tablet PC with Delorme TopoUSA with GPS.
TLC_35.jpg

ARB Bumper with MileMarker 12,500# winch.
TLC_44.jpg

Mounted the MileMarker upside down and used the upper fairlead mount.
TLC_56.jpg

I picked up a setup of Volvo C303 Portal Axles with the 5.99 gearing.
TLC_50.jpg

All the old brackets were removed and the stock FJ mounts were graphed on.
TLC_48.jpg

TLC_69.jpg

The Volvo axles have vacuum operated lockers so I also got the control valves from the donor vehicle.
TLC_60.jpg

I added a vacuum pump from an RV to backup the engine vacuum, it also acts as backup for the brake booster.
TLC_61b.jpg

These adapters let me keep the stock driveshafts, the Volvo stumps were 1" shorter so the adapters fit perfectly.
TLC_78.jpg

TLC_80.jpg

The portals gave me 5" of lift but it was still a little close so I got a set of OME 2" Heavy springs and shocks from Slee.
TLC_101.jpg

I went with 38.5-11-16 TSL Boggers, anything wider would require custom wheels with less backspacing.
TLC_104.jpg

With the new springs it measures 44.5" to the center of the wheelwell.
TLC_111.jpg

There's about 2" of clearance at the tightest point.
TLC_97.jpg

17.5" of ground clearance.
TLC_105.jpg

TLC_103.jpg

Homemade sliders.
TLC_125.jpg

TLC_126.jpg

I have put about 3000 miles on it and it drives great and is very capable off road.

Last edited:
WOW :eek: That is awesome. Very nice truck.

How are those drum brakes on stopping the Cruiser? Your 3000 mile test drive any on the highway? How has does it roll at 65? Braking from highway speeds?

Edit...and I second...MORE WHEELING PICS!

Nice air on that tree corner...you need some more pushers!!

Beautifully throught-out rig.

Congrats!:cheers:
-onur

Wow!!!!!

Thats all I have to say about that.

watched your build up. great job i love your rig.

How would you say that Slant Back Mil Spec Hummer does against your LC???
I almost sold the LC for a Mil Spec M998 with 27k miles but that 6.2 GM diesel stinks!! And the matinence is insane.

Well, I am sure you have heard it before.
But NICE!

Portals and an 80. Sounds tasty.
Put a 1HD-T into the mix and I would have to steal it from you. :)

But seriously, good job.
Thats one nice looking rig.

Thanks for thinking outside the box! You have pushed the envelope just a bit further in what can be done, and how to do it correctly. One question, what would you consider the weak link now of the rig? No more Birfs, but what are the limits of the Volvo's?

Nice rig!

-Matt

Thats one sweet rig. A few questions

Hows the engine performance with the new axles?

Is it easy for you to regear if you ever need to?

How are the vacuum operated lockers in comparison to the standard lockers we all know ie OEM or ARB?

AMMO said:
One question, what would you consider the weak link now of the rig? No more Birfs, but what are the limits of the Volvo's?

-Matt

It still has birfs but they are pretty strong, I think the weak link would be the portal gears if you had more horsepower. Biggest limit is not wanting to tear it up.

Biff said:
Thats one sweet rig. A few questions

Hows the engine performance with the new axles?

Is it easy for you to regear if you ever need to?

How are the vacuum operated lockers in comparison to the standard lockers we all know ie OEM or ARB?

It performs better with the portals because when I got it had 33" BFG ATs and it was very slugish, final gearing now is a little lower than stock so it gives the 3FE a little more out of the hole.

There's only three different ratios on the Volvo portal axles 6.00 (which I have), 7.10, and 7.56.

The vacuum controls are great, with the 80 or the Volvo 6X6 I never had any problems. Vacuum tends to seal rather that seep. I never cared much for the ARB lockers because of the leaks after they have some age on them. All the vacuum parts are servicable from outside the axle housing.

Last edited:
Portals on the 80, that is cool! That's a good looking rig, nice job:cool:

Good pics and great video...thanks for sharing!

Been waiting to see you on the ROTW for a while now. Love your rig, I want my 91' on portals.

Just when I start thinking I am done with the mods.....

Nice job bro!

That's a very nice and very clean build.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom