Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think overload leafs are doing great job controlling your axle wrap .. even with your springs that looks very flexy !

Fokin noice werk M8.

I didn't see anything weird. Pretty cool video. You just use a big magnet with a mount attached to it? Aren't there some dangers of erasing the data with a magnet? Or is that just me freaking out about nothing?

Yup! This is what the mount looks like. While I wouldn't put the magnet literally on the camera, I'm not afraid of this type of magnet screwing up the electronics. It takes more magnetism than you think to harm electronics.

IMAG2836.jpg

IMAG2837.jpg

IMAG2839.jpg

I think overload leafs are doing great job controlling your axle wrap .. even with your springs that looks very flexy !

That's what I was thinking as well :D Can't wait to get out and flex her out, which I need to do to measure for shocks.

Fokin noice werk M8.

Thanks boss :cheers:

Alongside the e-brake work that I think I'll do this weekend and figuring out my shock situation, I need to start planning out where my new gauges are going to go. I've got electronic fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges, then another boost gauge to measure exhaust drive pressure. The drive pressure measurement will help me calculate the pressure ratio of this turbo to see if I'm using it efficiently or not.

IMAG2840.jpg

I've been pouring over the following thread and can't decide if I'm going to put another gauge pod on top of the dash or make something happen inside the HVAC bezel somewhere. I really like the idea of having my gauges on top of the dash for visibility, but I'm not sure if it'd make the dash look cluttered.

No, we're not going with an a-pillar mount on Moonshine. Maybe an a-pillar mount.

Thoughts on gauge location?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/post-your-gauge-install-photos.349415/

Last edited:
Man that thing looks to ride very plush with those springs! A good indicator to me is how much it moves when you get in and out of it (no, not calling ya fat). Might of missed it, but was there any weight in the cargo area?

How many times did you think of the movie Uncle Buck when the ass end was a- bouncing? :grinpimp:

Man that thing looks to ride very plush with those springs! A good indicator to me is how much it moves when you get in and out of it (no, not calling ya fat). Might of missed it, but was there any weight in the cargo area?

How many times did you think of the movie Uncle Buck when the ass end was a- bouncing? :grinpimp:

:lol:

Yes there is weight in the cargo area. My drawer system is in there 100% of the time, about 60% packed. I don't have any real estimate as to the weight, but I have a coleman stove, all my cooking gear including a couple cast iron pieces, some random tools, tow straps, fluids, etc. Couple hundred pounds for sure.

I'm now running 5 additional gauges in addition to the factory panel. Mech water temp, tranny temp, pyrometer, total boost, primary boost. I only have a three pod on top of the dash and I put the gauges I monitor most there: the pyro and boost gauges. My water temp and tranny temp I only glance at occasionally so they don't need to be in my driving line of site. I had planned to put them in the ash tray slot or right under the dash by the shifter; however, I think getting an A-pillar pod would be better and am starting to lean towards that direction. I'm thinking of adding an oil pressure gauge since my dash one has never worked right which means I'd get an A-pillar three pod.

Thanks for the birthday wishes :cheers:

I'm now running 5 additional gauges in addition to the factory panel. Mech water temp, tranny temp, pyrometer, total boost, primary boost. I only have a three pod on top of the dash and I put the gauges I monitor most there: the pyro and boost gauges. My water temp and tranny temp I only glance at occasionally so they don't need to be in my driving line of site. I had planned to put them in the ash tray slot or right under the dash by the shifter; however, I think getting an A-pillar pod would be better and am starting to lean towards that direction. I'm thinking of adding an oil pressure gauge since my dash one has never worked right which means I'd get an A-pillar three pod.

I wanted to stay away from the a-pillar mount, although that might have to change. Whenever I see that, it screams "rice burner" to me for whatever reason.

Where do you currently have your water and tranny temp gauges, in the ash tray slot?

I still have my water temp to the left of the center dash which is hard to see from the driving position. My dash gauge does work but it's nice to have numbers instead of just a H or L plus it came with my stepvan so I used it.

P5280013.JPG

The tranny temp gauge is just dangling under the ash tray slot at the moment.

True in a gasser an A-piller pod sways more toward the ricer image but in a diesel I think it projects performance. And with the music our engine's make there's no mistaking that it's not a diesel. :hillbilly:

True in a gasser an A-piller pod sways more toward the ricer image but in a diesel I think it projects performance. And with the music our engine's make there's no mistaking that it's not a diesel. :hillbilly:

You may have just convinced me to go with the a-pillar mount :steer:

These pods are cheap enough I think I'm going to order a dash one as well as an a-pillar one so I can see what I like most. At the very least, my pyro, boost and drive gauges will go on the dash, then the others we'll have to see.

Thanks Mike :cheers:

Who needs shocks. It's a free back massage every time you drive it. Lol

What about mounting some gauges above the rear view mirror? It's a high visibility spot that's not overly conspicuous. Though the mirror pedestal in a 60 may make it a bit more difficult than in a truck with a mirror pedestal mounted to the windshield....

far to the right my cheap triple pod .. I use the center space for my GPS and radar detector .. that's why I put them on the other side of the dash .. you get used to so fash glance let you know how are the important stuff going ..

Water temp by KOSO it's direct over my steering .. and usually what I pay most attention ..

%5BUNSET%5D

Future plans include new bumpers front and rear, a set of sliders either from 2badfjs or from SROR, which I haven't decided on yet. I am also in the design stage of doing my own drawer system which will be similar to how TheDude did his. Eventually I want to re-gear to 4.11's, throw some 35's on with an SOA on the springs that I have on it now. I also have to rebuild the front axle and SOMEDAY I will throw in a H55f with a 12H-T bolted to it!!

I guess you got a bit carried away huh?! :)

I guess you got a bit carried away huh?! :)

:lol: How many years ago was that from?

I was close! I did have SOA with stock springs, 4.11s and 35s at one point. I still have that drawer system and instead of the H55 and 12H-T (I did have an H55 at one point) I have a 4BT with NV4500.

Not too bad :D

Ordered some stuff from eGauges today. Will get to start playing with the gauge positions soon.

egaugesOrder.JPG

Moonshine is looking good man. Are you worried about the axle wrap when your in 4-lo? Mine wasn't bad on the street but as soon as I put it in 4wd the pinion moved all over the place. And I have significantly less torque with my 2f than you do. I would say put a trac-bar on for good measure.

Mj

*EDIT: Forgot that you have chevy springs... I am not really familiar with that setup, but are the overloads in place to prevent axle wrap as well as bottoming out? I just have stock 62 leaves with AALs. Still would consider a trac bar just to be safe.

Last edited:
Moonshine is looking good man. Are you worried about the axle wrap when your in 4-lo? Mine wasn't bad on the street but as soon as I put it in 4wd the pinion moved all over the place. And I have significantly less torque with my 2f than you do. I would say put a trac-bar on for good measure.

Mj

*EDIT: Forgot that you have chevy springs... I am not really familiar with that setup, but are the overloads in place to prevent axle wrap as well as bottoming out? I just have stock 62 leaves with AALs. Still would consider a trac bar just to be safe.

I didn't have a trac-bar with the regular 62 leaves and I know I had bad axle wrap. I don't know how it'll be in low range yet, but I'll take a video to see.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a video on the street with the old rear suspension, but I use to have real bad axle wrap on the street as well. Now it's much better.

I'm trying to stay away from a wrap bar due to the whole conflicting arc thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom