Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those look like some seriously fun trips! Unfortunate what happened to the trucks while putting p the guard rails though.

Great to see the truck getting out. Nice Baywatch promo with the floater on front of moonshine on the beach.

So long since my last update! Moonshine has been on some trips. First was to Portsmouth Island the weekend of November 20-23. Posts from that event.

I left that Thursday evening for my buddy Meatstick's condo, where I spent the night, then drove with him up to the Marina where we met with everyone. First leg of the trip:

@ Chasing Tails, buying fishing gear:
IMAG2205.jpg

Had to unload half the **** in the truck to put ice and more beer in the coolers! Springs were hurting after loading up with firewood, ice, spare tire and everything else.

IMAG2206.jpg

IMAG2207.jpg

The drive out to the maria was super long and flat.

IMAG2210_BURST001-MOTION.gif

Cafe and view from the cafe. White pylons are where the ferry goes:

IMAG2211.jpg

IMAG2214.jpg

First beer of the day at 10:00am.

IMAG2216.jpg

Moonshine's first time on a ferry:

IMAG2218.jpg

IMAG2220.jpg

IMAG2221.jpg

IMAG2222.jpg

IMAG2224.jpg

Water was pretty calm:

IMAG2228_BURST001-MOTION.gif

Coming up to the dock:

IMAG2239.jpg

IMAG2241.jpg

Ranger station:

IMAG2242.jpg

IMAG2244.jpg
Next time you y'all come rumbling through Morehead City/AB, look me up! Matt Lamb @ Chasin'tails Outdoors is my cousin, maybe I could talk him in to hook'n you up w/ a family discount. Looks like you guys caught a good weekend in Portsmith...

Man, Portsmouth is awesome! We were talking about going down again this summer as we used to go yearly for a while before my parents died. We always stayed in the octagonal cabins.
Seashells, fishing, beach driving...what more do you need for a vacation, right?

It's time I quit stalling and fix my rear suspension. This will include:

1. Chevy 63" springs
2. Shocks
3. Functional E-Brake

After reading the pirate FAQ, I went out to the local scrapyard and found a set of Chevy 63" springs from an '88 1500. There were a couple in the yard, but the 88 already had the axle removed, so it was a cinch to remove the springs. However, after reading the following post from Drew, I messed up.

The newest I found at the local yard was a 05 1500, but that wouldn't have worked either. The question of the day is, can I throw in an add-a-leaf to this pack without losing any flex/ride quality?

I'm thinking this add-a-leaf will work for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Fabtech-FTS206-Add-A-Leaf-Chevy-K1500/dp/compatibility-chart/B000CESF6A

For posterity:

Spook-Some info I learned that you may find useful:

Chevy 63s are really nice springs. Despite what the Pirate article says, any Chevy rears after 1988 will work. The post 1998 springs have a bit more spring rate to them and are in my book, desirable.

You will want springs off a 3/4 ton truck. The 1/2 ton springs are too light for the heavy ass end of a 60. Remember the FAQ on Pirate is for Minitrucks.

Personally, I would look for new take offs from a Chevy 2500 HD. It will have 4 thick leaves and a very stout overload for 5 total. The newer the better for less rust. Also the leaves in the later springs look a bit thicker. Go by the truck rating from the donor and you'll be OK. The Pirate article says to pay no more than $100 for a pair, but I found a new set off a 2009 2500 HD for $175 and thought it was worth it.

You will need new spring hangers and shackle hangers. Keep your axle in the same spot or back 1/2 inch or so.

You will need new shackles-I used 5 inchers to minimize lift, most use 6 inch shackles.

RuffStuff makes a swap kit that is a good deal for the $$. You get the hangers and the shackles.

63" Chevy Spring Swap [63swp] - $120.00

Use the Chevy busings already in the springs if they are in good shape. They are very high quality rubber and will last longer and flex with more comfort than any poly replacement.

With the 3/4 ton post 98 springs, the front bushing eye is 5/8 inch and the rear 9/16. All 88-98 are 9/16 at both ends as are 98+ half ton springs. Anyway the later springs have a marginally stronger attachment.

They are really 64 inch springs-measured along the spring. Chevy calls them 64 inch springs. Minitruck guys call them 63 inch springs which is the eye to eye measurement.

Chevy springs are 2.5 inches wide(Cruiser FJ60 are 2.75 wide), but wider at the bushing sleeve. You will likely need a different spring plate/perch to keep the u-bolts close to the springs.

I have been super happy with this swap. Better flex, better load carrying, and better comfort . Good luck with your swap.

edit: While mine is SOA, I have seen them used SUA and it works really well. You need to flip the spring pin and figure out a retaining plate. Works fine.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/school-me-on-63-chevy-springs.331436/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/for-all-the-guys-running-63-chevy-springs.464327

Just realize you don't really want any lift, unless your front is also a bit lifted.

I'm surprised you could not find any 3/4 ton springs at the yard. There seem to be piles of them here with all the "BroDozier" conversions. I'd also look at Ford springs too.

Just realize you don't really want any lift, unless your front is also a bit lifted.

I'm surprised you could not find any 3/4 ton springs at the yard. There seem to be piles of them here with all the "BroDozier" conversions. I'd also look at Ford springs too.

I did find a few 3/4 and 1 ton vans at the yard, but wasn't sure at first if the Van springs would work. In addition, the majority of the springs I found were more corroded than I wanted, or 1500 springs, which is why I went with the set I have now.

My fear was that the Chevy AALs would provide lift, which is not what I want. I was never really impressed with the AALs for 60 series springs, I can't imagine them being any different for the Chevy springs. Figured I'd ask to make sure.

Got a line on a set of 04 2500 Duramax rear springs which should fit the bill. Guess all I did was pick up a spare set at the yard yesterday :lol:

Thanks for documenting all of the info Drew, you're extremely helpful, as always :cheers:

After a miscommunication with the seller, I now have a set of 63" springs out of an 04 2500 duramax truck. Awesome :D

Thanks to the KOH sale @ RuffStuff, I am now waiting on the parts to ship! Then the cutting will begin soon.

Queue the s***ty pictures. Yes, I need a new phone.

Burned out the bushings, replaced with new and disassembled the 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 springs I picked up last week. Damn I hate burning out spring bushings, such a nasty messy job.

Should I run the overloads or no?

IMAG2734.jpg

IMAG2737.jpg

IMAG2736.jpg

Nearly all of my parts are in. The cutting will commence shortly.

:popcorn::bounce2:

Queue the ****ty pictures. Yes, I need a new phone.

Burned out the bushings, replaced with new and disassembled the 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 springs I picked up last week. Damn I hate burning out spring bushings, such a nasty messy job.

Should I run the overloads or no?

IMAG2734.jpg

IMAG2737.jpg

IMAG2736.jpg

Nearly all of my parts are in. The cutting will commence shortly.

I say pull the OLs out.. I'd think it would stiffen the ride and flex too much.. Just my .02

J

I say pull the OLs out.. I'd think it would stiffen the ride and flex too much.. Just my .02

J

The idea is that this style overload wouldn't affect the ride quality whatsoever until you've hit the max capacity of the first 4 leaves. Leaving them in would not sacrifice ride quality, just protect the springs in the case where you've got a ton of weight in the truck.

The idea is that this style overload wouldn't affect the ride quality whatsoever until you've hit the max capacity of the first 4 leaves. Leaving them in would not sacrifice ride quality, just protect the springs in the case where you've got a ton of weight in the truck.

Well then, other than the OL being 2-3" lower than the main spring pack and sticking out to possibly catch on things... if that's not an issue in your mind, I say leave them in..

J

Well then, other than the OL being 2-3" lower than the main spring pack and sticking out to possibly catch on things... if that's not an issue in your mind, I say leave them in..

J

No, it is an issue, but I was looking for what others have done to that affect. I was thinking the overloads would help control axle wrap, but I'm going to add anti-wrap bar to the spring swap project, so that aspect isn't a concern.

I'm leaning towards leaving the overloads out. I can always put them back in if need be. Was more or less hoping others who have done 63s in their 60 comment. @Cruiserdrew @boots4

I'll search around instead :D

Last edited:
My advice is to run the overloads. The 60s have a big rear and need some weight control plus I still have plenty of flex with keeping the overloads in. I originally ran without the overloads at the very beginning and I didn't like it.

PA170034.JPG

PA170020.JPG

This was when the passenger side was still straight. I have installed an additional overload to each rear pack mostly for leveling purposes but it did not make the packs too stiff. It takes speed bumps better now.

I run the overloads too. And don't run a wrap bar. SFSG.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom