ROTW: Marmaduke HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toontoys.ca
Well, where do I start?? I guess with my TLCA membership that I bought back in 1998, #8113 after I bought my first Cruiser, a 74 FJ0. I then went on to a 78 BJ40 and met the boys from Calgary and the RMLCA… After that it was all downhill.

I bought my 61 with the intentions of having a mildly lifted, fairly stock daily driver. I went through the regular steps of adding a Belton suspension, new ARB bumper, bigger tires etc… I then did my first off roading in a wagon. Wow, what a difference from my BJ40. Long wheelbase, lots of overhang out back, and it was HEAVY. I did OK but I knew that the direction for my rig would take a turn.

The inspiration for my rig was two fold. First from a friends rig, Tippy (also known as TippyR and the Behemoth), owned by Peter Straub. I saw this rig go from stock up to the 54” tires it now sits on. (if he has it on tires these days!) I completely understood the MIBS philosophy that Peter preached. And I liked it!!

The other rig was Henry’s Princess. Everybody in the TLCA knew about this rig and wanted their truck to emulate what Henry was doing with it. It is the ultimate expedition rig. It was perfection in the eyes of many, including myself.

So that’s what started this journey. I have come a long ways with Marmaduke, and he is far from done. My ideas and expectations for him have changed over the years, but I am happy in where he has ended up so far. With a little help from some close friends, we have managed to do all of the modifications you see ourselves. And that is important to me. Sooooo, after 50 000km this is where I am at.

In his current trim, he weighs in at 6300lbs, gets 20+MPG, needs Hydro assist (sitting in the garage awaiting install), OBA, Engel fridge, a propane bottle that won’t upset the po
po, tire/fuel rack and an intercooler. I want a rig that can drive to the trail and perform well in the mud/rocks/snow. I would also like to be self sufficient so I guess this is my “expedition” rig. Thanks for looking!!

Here is a list of mods and specs that I can remember with pictures to follow, I will get some wheeling pictures up as the week progresses:

Marmaduke
1988 HJ61 VX RHD JDM
12H-T with an A440 auto
Homebrew boost control set to 13psi (up from 7)
3” straight pipe exhaust
Custom intercooler install
Extreme Valve body with lock up in 3rd and 4th
External Tranny cooler running Transynd
4.88 gears
Diamond front axle housing
80 series rear FF with disk brakes
30 spline longs with custom inners for the locker
ARP studs all around
Factory cable lockers
SOA with cut and turned front housing
home brew anti-wrap bar
4runner callipers with hard lines removed
Brake backing plates remove
80 series master cylinder
Stainless brake lines
OME Dakkar lift
2” body lift with poly mounts
4x4 labs arms with one ton ends
Bilstien shocks with custom shock towers
Cibie/Bosh headlights with new harness
Upgraded wiring
24V > 12V Solar converter running a third battery
400 and 1000 watt inverters
Custom bumpers/sliders with tire and fuel swing out
on board shower
ExtremeAire on board air
Factory PTO winch
Isspro boost/egt/oil pressure gauges
Custom drawers with bed
Brown Bread sound deadening
Yakima roof racks
Cobra CB
Yeasu HAM
17"x8.5 4"BS TrailReady beadlocks
37x13.5 Toyo MTs
Full tool set
Engel fridge

Canadian M101 Trailer
SOA with cruisers hubs
9.00R16 Michelin XLs on split rims
Quickfist tie downs
Tailgate
70 series lights
Wired for 24V

Marmaduke as I purchased him. A picture from the auction site:

BradHJ61-front.jpg

And the first trip to our clubs breakfast:

IMGP2494.jpg

The first of my mods included a Safari Snorkel. It's noisy, it whistles, I think it may hurt my low end power, but damn, it looks cool.......

snorkel.jpg

The ARB bumper with the PTO winch, I was very happy with this set up. It went because of the body lift. The lines just didn’t match up.

ARBbumper.jpg

And with the Belton lift on with 255/85R16 and split rims

Picture012.jpg

The rear bumper got added with some “wing” protection and heavy duty tow points. The pintle also has a backing plate.

DSC04248.jpg

After deciding that the rig needed a SOA I got the 4x4 Lab arms on using one ton ends:

DSC04274.jpg

Got the 2" body lift on with poly body mounts and the ford shock towers:

I have about 4" of up travel and 10" of down. Which is exactly what I wanted...

bilsteins005.jpg

And installed the 4 runner callipers, removed the disk brake backings:

truck016.jpg

Installed the 9.00R16 XLs. This is where the name “Marmaduke” came from. It looked like a big dog on skinny legs

DSC04298.jpg

Poser shot of the spring over

DSC04287.jpg

My first set of big tires. I love the XMLs, they are just too much $$$ and hard to find in good shape. They are also LOUD on the road and suck in the snow.

subbox052.jpg

tires007.jpg

tires009.jpg

I finally got my brown bread installed. Makes for a much quieter ride.

tires051.jpg

tires052.jpg

New bumper and sliders to go with the body lift

bumper001.jpg

bumper004.jpg

bumper003.jpg

bumper012.jpg

Last edited:
Best mod I have ever done for driving. They are Cibie high/lows and Bosh highs. I can light up the night sky with all four high beams on. It's great. I gained almost 2 volts with the upgraded harness.

tires013.jpg

chitekmay2006.jpg

From this:

harness20schematic.jpg

Wiring harness is in

cruiserstuff002.jpg

The drawer system that every wagon should have

DSC01686.jpg

09-06-06_1612.jpg

So, I will now have my blue top charging off of my 24V to 12V converter with a 12V solar panel back up running through a charge regulator.

DSC01690.jpg

cruiserstuff006.jpg

The drawers where designed to pull forward or back:

cruiserstuff008.jpg

Side compartments house the electronics (above) and recovery gear

DSC01689.jpg

And the gauges are hooked up permanently and I am running 13psi boost with my new boost controller, made with parts from Home depot.

cruiserstuff005.jpg

cruiserstuff004.jpg

Got the traction par made up. It uses a trussed piece of 1.25" 1/4" wall DOM with bushings at one end and a hiem at the other.

DSC01375.jpg

And most recently, new shoes for the "Duke 38x14.5R16 Toyo MTs on 16x10 rims.

newshoes002.jpg

newshoes004.jpg

newshoes001.jpg

Last edited:
I also bought a trailer along the way.

truck.jpg

I welded a Land Cruiser spindle with a birfield shaft to a piece of 3" pipe for my axle. I will use a mini truck disk brake hub and lock out. This way I can "lock" the hub and have "brakes" when the trailer is parked or if I have to dump it on a hill...it won't roll away...

junk003.jpg

Before

junk008sm.jpg

After

junk013sm.jpg

New lights:

junkola019.jpg

And axe and shovel holders:

DSC01373.jpg

I got tired of lifting junk up and over so I cut the back for a tailgate.

DSC02135.jpg

DSC02137.jpg

trailer005.jpg

trailer003.jpg

trailer001.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

And an OLD video

Last edited:
Wow, thats one bad ride!! X2 on the cool factor because you hunt and youre Canadian. Not enough of you anymore.

It is awesome to see what you have done to it. Nice work man!

Will this be a sticky for this week? And are we ready to start signing up for ROTW?

NICE!!!!!

Thanks for stepping up!!!

Can I come up and go goose hunting???
:D

Thanks guys, you are more then welcome to join us on a shoot!

Geared up to find a duck pond

stuff012.jpg

And after one of our field shoots.

Picture003.jpg

Last edited:
Dude... your cruiser is amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering if you have any plans drawn up for the rear storage box? That is the best one i've seen yet.

:cheers:

Great work on the truck and the very first ROTW!!!! Thanks for stepping up, your rig is amazing and very well thought out. Now will you make me that front bumper please? Brian

Awesome rig. It's been my inspiration for my 97 LX450 build. Congrats on the first 60 ROTW!

Wow, amazing rig! Great job on it and the trailer, looks killer and I bet it's unstoppable off the pavement!

Thanks everyone.

I am bagged (too much sun and garage/yard work today) I am going to bed as I am off on holidays in the morning for a couple days. Hopefully throughout the week I can post up some wheeling pictures. Here's a couple teasers:

At the River Shiver 05:

80sd.jpg

And BHCC 06

BlackHilklsCruiserClassic2006062.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom