Builds ROTW - desertdude's 1997 40th aniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent example. I hope mine will grow up to be like that someday.

Jack

tarbe said:
Wow! Just an amazing combination of mods.

I didn't catch it if you mentioned...any idea what she weighs fully loaded for a trip?

Did you give the Slee 4" any help in the back (packers)?

Great job all the way around.

ps - I could see making your 80 my retirement home :grinpimp:

I am using Slee's 4" with OME L shocks - I spoke with Christo before leaving for AK his 4" heavies were not quite in yet ( they are now) I will be installing those end of this month - this will help with the 160L Aux tank ( extra weight) I also have in the garage waiting to be installed are Bilstein 7100 Remote Res shocks to help with a bit of body roll from the tent and addition weight.

We were approx. 7K lbs quite heavy for off-roading - but hey what can you do:D

Brett ( dieselbigot) calls this an offroad motor-home :) he is right we lived in it for almost 12 weeks and only hit a resort maybe 5 times just for a change of pace - the set up is real easy to set up as a matter of fact it is built so either I or desertgirl can fuly set up camp by ourselves in less than 20 min.

loquito said:
I was curious if you would tell me of any short comings your 80 had driving around up here. I am short real tires and lockers, oh and time of from work or I would have joined Mark and the crew.

I am one of the few 80's in the Alaska Cruiser Crew and so far have only been on the Kiddie trails. Can you offer me any 80 related advise?What tires did you run and how did they do in our mud?How did you do compared to the 40's and mini truck?Stuck more becouse 80's are so heavy? Did the size or the weight of your rig hinder you in comparison to the others in the group?

Way cool ride, I wish I had seen it in person but you guys left while I was working a 16 hour shift. Dam work gets in the way:mad:
Steven

sorry to have missed you on the trek - I ran the same BFG MTR KM's totally worthless in the mud - if I could have I would have run TSL's swampers - but I did learn how to hit the gas and power my way through the mud - reving the tires to spin them clean on occasion-

Wheeling is all driver - we got stuck in the first mud hole because I was not fully in 4X4 mode in my mind - once I got a few tips from Mark I only got stuck once more due to the mud being deep - I felt like we were a bit heavy, but so were many of the other rigs ( Gregs BJ74 ) and he did real well- all and all I felt we kept up - and some of use 80's were really rallying through it.

Beowulf said:
Another excellent expedition rig and superb write-up.

In the past 2 weeks we have had Black-n-Tan and now Desertdude's fine truck. I really feel sorry for Big_Moose and the others that have to follow these last 2 ROTW threads. :D

-B-

thanks for the fine words :cool:

Riley said:
Very nice truck. My wife and I are very impressed. The tent is super interesting. I need to go research that and might have some follow-up questions.

edit:

1st question: What width of tent did you get? Seem roomy enough for 2 adults?

I have the Maggiolina Airland small ( they call it now) 51” x 83” x 11-3/4”

sleeps two very comfortable ( I am 6'1") this tent has made all the difference in expedition type travel - all you do is crank it up and drop the ladder down the bedding and pillows are all up there made all ready - just like a motel :) and I can move it from the 80 to the Tacoma in less than 15 minutes -

this was my third Snorkel install so it was not to scary -I still can't reach the last two nuts deep inside :crybaby: - Rob (clarkrw3) from our club has offered to reach them for me :D
Image-4F5A3A06AD5D11DA.jpg
Image-4F5A4E83AD5D11DA.jpg
Image-4F5A90D1AD5D11DA.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the ARB compressor using Slee's nicely made bracket which tucks the mini compressor neatly into the corner - I then ran the lines back to the rear and to the front diffs - and connected those to the air switches. The switches are mounted on Slee's ultra cool air manifold - then screwed onto the firewall - I made very sure all my lines mimicked the hydraulic brake lines and left some extra for the lift and flex -
Image-4F5B0E32AD5D11DA.jpg
Image-4F5B1EC1AD5D11DA.jpg
Image-4F5B2F10AD5D11DA.jpg

I really like the way the interior of the 80 comes apart - kinda like an airplane - easy once you know the few tricks and best of all it usually snaps back together for a nice tight fit with no rattles

I used an OEM locker switch I got from Slee - this is a nice way to activate the front and rear lockers - I searched this forum for the wiring diagram - I used the stock ARB switch for the compressor - but I am planning on changing this to some simple OEM switch - reason is I seem to keep hitting the switch off and then I have no lockers :crybaby: ...right Cruiserdrew :)
Image-4F5B6133AD5D11DA.jpg
Image-4F5BB580AD5D11DA.jpg
Image-4F5B5154AD5D11DA.jpg

While I was under the 80 running the air lines- desertgirl was digging into the panel near the stereo to install the CDL switch we got from Slee - using the supplied PDF it was an easy mod - we then found the wire to pull out near the drivers dead pedal to give us total manual control of the center diff lock
Image-4F5B7100AD5D11DA.jpg
Image-4F5BA574AD5D11DA.jpg

We removed the diffs and sent those up to Slee for re-gearing to 4:88's and to have the ARB lockers installed - Knowing this would cost me some in shipping - I still felt it was worth having quailty work done once on this our Alaskan Expedition vehicle

"buy the best and cry once" has been my motto - We have not been dissapointed in this decision ;)

See desertgirl making sure the diff nuts go on correctly :cool:
Image-5296F56EA95411DA.jpg
Image-52B0D564A95411DA.jpg
Image-52B6F814A95411DA.jpg

Once desertgirl and I had completed all the axle PM and the brake rebuild it was time to grow this 80 series up and install Slee's 4" lift Kit - I originally was going to try and save some coin and do a "J" spring lift but decided to use that motto and "buy the best and cry once" - this was also a good move - the PDF was very detailed and we had fun doing this mod together

See all the photos of the lift install HERE

Last edited:
couple more photos of the 80 wheeling Borken Arrow trail in Sedona when Mike (lx450landcruiser) came out for a visit

Last edited:
Thanks Phil !

seeing your 80 a few years back when you guys came up to Sedona was a real inspiration for me ;)

Awesome awesome awesome! Nicely done! Love the back box set up!

Wunderbar! :cheers:

Not only does he make great music but he owns a sweet 80 also.Everything looks amazing.Now im really motivated to get my mods going on my 80.Kickass Dude:cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom