ROTW Darwood

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Darwood, May 3, 2006.

1. Darwood

Darwood

Sorry for getting this up late. I really have no excuse other than motivation.

I purchased my 97 FZJ80 in January of 2004 in Tucson Arizona while visiting my future wives parents in Phoenix. It had 95,000 miles on it, was white with tan (leather) interior and had the factory electronic locking differentials. I had been searching for about 6 months for a cruiser and was having a hard time find one with lockers that wasn't trashed or overpriced. This cruiser was mostly neither. When I looked it over it became apparent that it had some front end damage that had been repaired. The whole front clip was new, but the frame looked fine. It also had an aftermarket radiator. I decided that the repair wasn't too bad so I bought it. I really didn't want leather interior but since I was looking for a 97 with lockers, finding a cruiser without leather wasn't going to happen.

Here are some pictures right before I picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a picture of my 99 Tacoma which is what I replaced with the LandCruiser
    [​IMG]
  2. Darwood

Darwood

My first modification (other than replacing the steering wheel and shifter with the non leather versions courtesy of CDan) was a Kaymar rear bumper. rockclmbr had organized a group buy and I couldn't pass it up. I also went for the tire carrier and the jerry can holder. Note the tundra spare tire :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was side moulding once again courtesy of CDan

[​IMG]

A couple months after I bought my truck I had to drive back to Arizona to get married. I was going to take the LandCruiser however it still had the original tires with a build date from 1996. I didn't feel comfortable with driving 800 x 2 miles on these old tires (which amazingly still had tread). The next upgrade was BFG AT 295/75/16s. This was the largest tire I felt comfortable putting on the truck with stock suspension. I also bought 5 new OEM steel rims to mount them on since the truck was missing it's original spare (Once again note the Tindra spare above).

Next was a suspension. Previously I had a 93 Jeep ZJ (Grand Cherokee) with a simular suspension and from that truck I learned the importance of a proper suspension setup (read it didn't have it). With that in mind I went with the OME J springs and L shocks all around with Slee's adjustable panhard arms and front CV shaft. About a month after this lift I went with Slee's control arms since my caster was so bad that the steering wheel would not return to center. It would actually want to turn into a corner more... which prove to be less than fun on the 101 north of San Francisco. The control arms solved the steering issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  3. Darwood

Darwood

So I'm tired of story telling so I'll just state that I upgraded to the Slee 6 inch lift around June or July of 2005. Here are some pictures. I also added an ARB bull bar around that time.

[​IMG]

Also to prove I'm not Tyler here are some pictures off the pavement with the 6 inch lift ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Darwood

Darwood

I signed up for the ROTW hoping to have my truck in a better state of completion by now but unfortunately it's not. Here are the furture plans and other thing I haven't shown for my truck including a list of what I have shown:

Current gear shown:

Kaymar Rear Bumper with Tire Swingout and Jerry Can Holder
    BFG AT 295/75/16's on Factory Steel Wheels
    ARB Bullbar
    Complete Slee 6 inch lift with front and rear CV Drive Shafts
    Factory Side Moulding that says "Four Wheel Drive"​

Current gear not shown:

Slee Step Sliders (on route from Moab thanks to NorCalDoug)
    Full Length African Outback Roof Rack (in garage waiting to be installed)
    Technitop Roof Top Tent (in house since it only goes on when I'm going to use it due to drag and weight)
    Hella 4000s on ARB
    Factory 1998 Camry Head Unit with USASpec iPod adaptor
    Cheap Radio Shack CB on rear of the Center Console with Wilson Flex Antenna on ARB (new antenna not pictured)​

Future Plans:

4.88 Differential Gears
    315/75/16 tires (probably BFG AT's but I'm still debating)
    Dual Battery Install (I have all the pieces in a box in the garage waiting to go on)
    Warn 12,000 lb Winch
    Engel Refrigerator​

Maintenance Performed:

Front Axle Service
    New (remanufactured) Steering Gear
    New EGR Modulator and EGR VSV
    New Exhaust Rubber Cushions
    New Power Antenna Mast
    New Throttle Cable
    New Distributor Cap, Rotor, and Wires​
  5. Darwood

Darwood

I will be adding more as it becomes available ;) (or I stop being lazy)

edit: added more

Now with 315/75/16s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  6. Darwood

Darwood

Here are some random pictures of the interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  7. rockclmbr

rockclmbr

reserved VI:flipoff2:
  8. FirstToy

FirstToy

It's an awesome rig. I like the style of it, which maybe not as apparent in photos, but has a very unique look to it w/ the steel wheels and body trim.

I've only ever seen it w/ the rooftent so Darwood's rig always looked like a euro-expedition 80 to me. It is also super, super clean. As his wife says, "Derek can go camping w/ white pants and never get a spot on them"

Get off your butt and finish postin! hehe

:cheers:
  9. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

How much did you spend on those new steelies? It actually looks pretty good with the 6" and 33's, too! And we can't forget your JDM moulding, which I plan to do as soon as I get the truck repainted (twp-tone, grey/rhino-lining).

Can't wait to see more!
  10. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Having a spat? That why yer chasin him down BBM?? :flipoff2:

Looks good Darwood .. tires a bit small, but it's nice :beer: :beer:

TY
  11. rockclmbr

rockclmbr

You forgot to mention the newly installed front windshield gasket, seat covers, and did I say that truck is CLEAN?

You've done a swell job of building it up, now let's put those soon to be installed sliders to the test!

12. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

Very nice, and it's the right color!
  13. Driley

Driley

Black molding

I have been waiting to see a white LC with black molding. I like the look (maybe I should have kept the freebie from cdan:doh: ). Great looking rig!

Riley
  14. FJBen

FJBen

What was the price (ballpark) for the side moulding! really like that!
  15. Driley

Driley

FJ Ben Reply

The rear passenger side quarter panel molding strip was ~$10 from cdan. He sent me a black one and I ordered a white one. Darwood inherited that piece after cdan just told me to keep it.
  16. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I like it as well, but I remember it being cost prohibitive even thru CDan. (For all the pcs)

:beer: :beer:

TY
  17. Driley

Driley

Molding

I was talking about the rubber gasket molding between the flares and body. The "4-Wheel Drive" trim pieces are nice also!
  18. barrypt5

barrypt5

do you have a pic of the non-leather steering wheel and shifter??? my shifter is starting to look bad...just curious. Also the steel wheels did you get those on Ebay or something else...ballpark price?? thanks cool write up and pics!!

barrypt5
  19. reffug

reffug

Nice rig.:cheers:

Thanks for contributing.:D
  20. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily... SILVER Star

The steelies came from CDan, IIRC.
    non-leather steering wheel is cool...but quite expensive as I recall.